Guineafowl Finally got a pic

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by robin416, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

That is too funny- because I’m seeing it play out in my head, and it cracks me up!

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

The mosquitos were very bad here last week. It's too cool for them today. I'm always working on things and putting up posts in the runs and they tend to mob me and I have to be careful moving ladders and such so I don't step on anybody. I think because I have multiple species free roaming together they get less freaked with change. Somebody always thinks there's a chance of food being involved.

3. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Guineas really really don't like change of any kind. You should see their reaction when something is laying on the ground that wasn't there the day before. They'll avoid the area until it either disappears or they give up paying attention to it.

I've been messing with them this morning, I go into their pen. They run up and gather around at the sides away from the door. They peek in, pull at the wire but will not go to the door. I also noticed the water level in their outside waterer isn't dropping so they're not going near it either.

I don't have to worry about stepping on any of them. That's their wild genetics, don't let anyone close. The chicken/quail pen is like you experience JP, watch where you step. Especially with the quail.

4. robin416

Last night Baby and one female stayed out. I have a feeling Baby wasn't so enamored with it just being on bird and not the whole flock because it kept going in the coop today.

Tonight for the first time in several nights all of the birds are up.

Problem is, if I feel up to it I'm going to be installing another post tomorrow. I'm getting ready for a repeat.

Oh almost forgot. This morning it was on with the flock when I let them out. All was quiet when I opened the door. They came streaming out and all sorts of I'm going to get you went on with most of the birds. All sorts of dodging and jabbing and running going on. I thought I was going to get to see the Chase for the first time in several years. But they broke off.

5. Poultry Judge

You have to monitor that gang activity closely!

6. robin416

The Chase is a fascinating thing to watch. When you first get to see if you think the bird being chased is going to die from exhaustion.

But if you happen to be there before the Chase takes place you see the bird being chased isn't so innocent. A male will dodge at another male and sprint away a few feet. If the antagonized bird doesn't come after him, the antagonizer will dodge at the same bird again.

This can keep on until the antagonizer gets what it wants, to be chased, or gives up. The chase can go on for an hour, one bird after another round and round. If the chased bird stops the chasing bird will give it a mild pounding then they start chasing again.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  7. robin416

I can hear the Guineas running around on the roof.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  8. Poultry Judge

So, I wonder what the evolutionary social function is? There has to be some purpose.

9. robin416

The only thing I can think of is that it's a hierarchy thing. But that doesn't quite hold water either unless I'm letting my human thinking get in the way of the obvious, it's a hierarchy thing.

I've even stepped in between them when I see the chased bird exhausted and if the chashing bird breaks off have the chased bird circle around and pick the chaser bird back up to continue on.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  10. Poultry Judge

Yup, the humans are objects at that point!

11. danathome

danathome Active Member

After reading these posts I had to laugh at you and myself. Every night I expect to find my turkeys way up in the pines. All day long one of the hens flies up into the pines and then down. Tomorrow she gets clipped as do the peafowl. Tomorrow is release day and I do not want to worry they will fly in fear to the trees.

12. robin416

Where I live having turkeys or peas would require one heck of an aviary. Please don't get me started thinking in that direction.

13. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

I think the fact you said that aloud implies you already were!

14. robin416

Yeah, thought about it but won't act on it. I know me well enough to know when to stop.

15. danathome

danathome Active Member

I find it fun to watch the big gray turkey flying from branch to branch and then to the house roof. If it were just turkeys I wouldn't mind their roosting in the pines, but if the turkeys roost there it wouldn't belong before the Phoenix tried it and they'd be owl fodder.

16. robin416

Monkey see, monkey do. Guineas will do the same thing but it's among themselves since my chickens were too far removed from thinking it was fun to fly into trees.

17. danathome

danathome Active Member

Phoenix, unlike many chicken breeds, are strong fliers. I do not doubt they would follow the turkeys into the trees. Yes. Monkey see, monkey do.

18. Poultry Judge

I really don't mind them in the trees. Not many predators are going to get them when they fly well. The turkeys get out, go steal the cat food and then find their way back in.

robin416 likes this.
  19. danathome

danathome Active Member

My turkeys steal the dog's food when I feed the dogs on the patio. Only if the dogs have left the bowls with food in them.
    It's the only place chasing birds is allowed (but just off the patio and then the dogs stop). The patio is the dog's place and the birds know it. At times I'm sure the turkeys come on the patio just so they get chased off.

robin416 and Poultry Judge like this.
  20. Poultry Judge

That sounds about right!