Guineafowl Finally got a pic

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by robin416, Jul 23, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Heck if I know. This is my first experience with quail. I can tell the quail are little. About the size of month old large fowl chicks.

Watch Craigslist. At certain times of the year there are tons of them for sale.

2. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I have checked craigslist, around here, no one uses it. On occasion there might be someone getting rid of chickens but as for live animals, not very often. I keep my eye on Craigslist for other items for other things (playpens, small dog crates etc for my wild animal orphans) and I always check for chickens and other livestock. You'd be surprised what people want to get rid of. One time I found someone selling a gutted van for use as a chicken coop. Interesting idea but holy cow it must get hot (and cold) in there

3. robin416

What other resources are there for live animals? Heck, they might even be that popular where you live. I see tons of them for sale here at certain times of the year.

4. robin416

So Baby now has big bird feathers. Luckily they're not bigger than it is. It's still tiny and can easily walk under it's sibs without touching them.

The negative news is one of the keets came home hurt. I have no idea what happened but it hurt bad enough it didn't want to follow the flock. And then would cry for them when they moved away.

Which meant it was time for me to round up keets and put them up so I could keep an eye on the hurt one. It would stumble all over the place when I first put them up. But when I checked this evening it was roosting with the others. Maybe a day or two of lockdown will be enough for it to recover.

5. robin416

So far today I can't tell which one was hurt yesterday. It could be a momentary thing because Guineas can appear to rally before they totally collapse.

I'll know tomorrow morning if it's going to be OK.

6. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I hope it's okay!!

7. robin416

The injured keet has made a total recovery. I'll never know what rang its bell but at least now I can't tell which one it was.

OK, the keets are approaching 4 months old. One little girl has been buckwheating for a couple of weeks now. But the Baby? It's still with the flock, it's not much bigger than a week old keet.

I've watched it try to use its wings. All it succeeds in doing is wings extended hop kind of thing. It might make flight yet one day. It also stays away from feeding frenzies because it gets trampled. I'm contemplating how to make it a treat station that only it can access.

It will take me keeping it in without having it freak out, show it its new hidey hole by baiting it with treats.

Poultry Judge and Sylie like this.
  8. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

You are the Guinea Whisperer!

9. robin416

OK, this morning I McGyvered a place where Baby can access treats in total isolation from the hoard. The trick will be convincing it that it's a safe place.

I've been trying to get another pic but the constant motion machines are making it impossible.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  10. robin416

Today Baby got left behind. I've only ever heard quiet little peeps but this time I thought it was one of the older keets when it gave voice to its distress.

The flock had gone somewhere new. I saw them all come running back but I didn't spot Baby. About the time I asked where it was it declared in a very loud voice it wasn't happy.

I'm slowly training it to come when I call. I went around the other side of the house and began to call for it. It came just so far but it could see me and grew quieter. Then the flock came running around from the other side of the house and gathered it up to bring home.

The flock was following me more than it was answering the distress call but it was enough to make them realize they left someone behind when they saw it.

11. robin416

Baby update:

Baby is still very small but has had a bit of a growth spurt in the past couple of weeks. I'm hoping it's not a female, if it survives I don't want it to die because of reproductive problems.

What I saw for the first time is that it can fly. I've seen it swoop off the landing board but that's not flying. Today I saw it fly from the far end of the board to the perch. So, it can fly. It's wings are strong enough.

I've managed to train it to the landing board for it's treats because the others still trample it. At first it would freak out seeing my hand coming to the landing board, now it recognizes that hand has something special for it and will cautiously approach.

12. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member