Fertilized or not...

Discussion in 'Egg Quality & Storage' started by Lady_Alia, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

How can I tell if an egg has been fertilized? I heard once that when cracked if it has a little glob of white stuff it's a fertilized egg. Is that true? Cuz I've seen my rooster mounting my girls but it doesn't look like his parts are making it to theirs. lol sorry for the mental images.

2. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Good question, I am wondering that myself, for mothers day this year I got 3 beautiful baby "female" chicks... Only now they are about 20 weeks old and I have "Sally", "Lucy" and "Roger" the rooster, As well as 7 other ladies, he is friendly and seems to get along with all my girls, but all this chicken mating stuff is all new to me.. LOL

3. cogburn

cogburn New Member

His parts are the same as her parts, they just rub together. I don't know what you are expecting to see, but it's really fast and I bet if she's receptive and he's mounting her then they are doing the deed and the next egg she lays will be fertilized, again it's best to familiarize yourself with the chickens anatomy and "parts list".. Maybe we can get someone to to make a sticky with just such info in the beginners section. Whatta ya say
    Austin/Keith or Mods ?

Cogburn

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Here ya go ladies..

Attached Files:

5. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Thankyou boys.... Was not expecting hanky panky like us humans, I knew it was quick and not so romantic for those fellow females... Lol thanks for the attachments.. Much appreciated.. Keep on loving frisky chookies...

6. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Anytime. !! And don't let them smoke a cigarette afterwards, it's bad for their health.

7. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Lol.. Yes but I bet they sleep much better that night....

8. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

lmbo!! You guys are hillarious!!

Cogburn, I knew it was quick and I don't know what I expected to see but it just seems like his back end never gets near their back ends. He seems to have so much balance issues that before he can get around to doing the deed the female is throwing him off.
    And thanks for posting the anatomy pics, I'll get studying that! Will there be a quiz later? ;-) lol

You guys are awesome! I love this app!!!

9. cogburn

cogburn New Member

No problem ! Also when she is receptive they tend to "meet in the middle.."Hmmmm a quiz?? now there's an idea.. Lol. ;^)

10. adorson

adorson Member

No, the glob of white stuff is not the fertilized embryo. You can tell if an egg has been fertilized by cracking open, look at the yolk. In an unfertilized egg, you will see a small white circle within the yolk but in a fertile egg will look more like a bullseye.

11. kitz

kitz New Member

Hey im a man is it okay for me to look at this also lol :D

12. shickenchit

shickenchit New Member

Cogburn where did you get those pictures? That's handy as a pocket on a shirt.