Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a question. Is there any way to tell the difference between fertilized eggs and non fertilized eggs? I'm thinking about getting a rooster, but my only worries are that I won't be able to tell which go in the fridge and which go in the incubator. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
If you get a rosster you'll see him doing the deed quit often. You'll know the eggs are fertile then ;) . You dont have to incubate every egg thats fertile, just incubate what you need or want and eat the rest. Fertile eggs taste no different than unfertile.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If you are not adverse to cracking one open it's easy to tell fertile from infertile. You'll find a white dot on the yolk of the egg (you might need to rotate it with a spoon to locate it.) If the white dot looks like a dot it is not fertilized, if it looks like a doughnut or a target it is fertile (and the others likely are too.)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This seems like a kind of stupid question, but after you crack an egg and find out if its fertile, can you still make it hatch in some way?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If you have a highly sophisticated lab... (Many biologists study embryo development by cutting a window into an egg... but they have many sterilization procedures and fancy equipment and even so a lot of these will not continue to develop after such a procedure.)

·
57 Posts
This seems like a kind of stupid question, but after you crack an egg and find out if its fertile, can you still make it hatch in some way?
Not really, you can always just throw them in the incubator and see if they start to grow, that way you don't waste an egg.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
For the backyard chicken keeper or the homestead ... (Sorry) but no.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts