Chicken Forum banner

Fertilised or not?

2584 Views 149 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  robin416
Hi guys I got a pekin bantam who has been jumping on pretty all of my hens iv never seen this in any eggs before he came, would you say this was a fertilised egg that could have went on to be a hatchling given the propper care? I’m positive this was from my coral nick hen.
Egg yolk Food Egg Ingredient Fluid

Food Egg yolk Liquid Ingredient Fluid

Food Ingredient Tableware Egg Cuisine
See less See more
121 - 140 of 150 Posts
I wonder which one it is? :ROFLMAO: :D:D

You might end up regretting that if they do. Teach them to come to the back door instead. Then they'll just waltz in and really get your wife fired up.

Don't tell her I said that.
I wonder which one it is? :ROFLMAO: :D:D

You might end up regretting that if they do. Teach them to come to the back door instead. Then they'll just waltz in and really get your wife fired up.

Don't tell her I said that.
Haha I have them colour tags on thier legs so I’ll know which one it is next time she pops up lol I can’t let them walk round as my brother has a spaniel dog that likes to chase them lol
Good that you recognize that the dog could be a problem. Not sure if you saw it but someone on the forum is dealing with a dog attack from dogs that got into her yard.
Good that you recognize that the dog could be a problem. Not sure if you saw it but someone on the forum is dealing with a dog attack from dogs that got into her yard.
I didn’t see it but sounds terrible, she is a fun dog so it’s in her nature to flush out birds and ect, my border collie on the other hand is very protective
My keyboard is shot so ignore any issues I miss.

I can never leave either of my current two alone with my birds. Heck, they can't be near them with me right there.

Awesome, she recognizes they are part of your pack. Oop, she may not be right. Sorry, both of mine are girls.
Reactions: 1
My keyboard is shot so ignore any issues I miss.

I can never leave either of my current two alone with my birds. Heck, they can't be near them with me right there.

Awesome, she recognizes they are part of your pack. Oop, she may not be right. Sorry, both of mine are girls.
Lol it’s okay he is a he, their herding dogs usually for cattle and sheep so it comes to him naturally.

your gonna think I’m mad, I probably am but seen this Brahma roo advertised and picked him up I’m going to attach my wife’s reaction along with a picture of the new arrival ☺☺
Bird Phasianidae Comb Beak Chicken

Bird Organism Beak Adaptation Phasianidae
See less See more
I wish I could like her comment about him. They are big birds but generally very gentle and laid back.

He looks like he's gone a round with your brother's pup. Once he gets all that molting out of the way he should be stunning.

BTW, you should be quarantining new birds. Especially from those you don't know or know their flocks. You could destroy all of your hard work bringing in the wrong bird.
I wish I could like her comment about him. They are big birds but generally very gentle and laid back.

He looks like he's gone a round with your brother's pup. Once he gets all that molting out of the way he should be stunning.

BTW, you should be quarantining new birds. Especially from those you don't know or know their flocks. You could destroy all of your hard work bringing in the wrong bird.
Yeah he’s had it out with the black aracuana roo I have but thier okay now, I know I should quarantine new birds but I know the breeder and been in and around his birds and stuff, if I didn’t know much I would definitely quarantine him. He is gorgeous though
The hardest part is knowing who might have a hidden respiratory disease that only comes out when stressed. Like moving from one house to another. That is not something the breeder could be held responsible for unless they knew and hid it because most of the time they never have any idea. Simply because it stays dormant until the bird is stressed.
The hardest part is knowing who might have a hidden respiratory disease that only comes out when stressed. Like moving from one house to another. That is not something the breeder could be held responsible for unless they knew and hid it because most of the time they never have any idea. Simply because it stays dormant until the bird is stressed.
iv been lucky so far but if I have any other birds I will be quarantine them for two weeks, the new girls are laying eggs and the Brahma roo has settled with the Sussex crosses and my little Speckledy, the little ones are coming on good they come to me now for little treats and stuff I love it, I still don’t know what they are though, will be interesting to see
Fence Grass Home fencing Mesh Agriculture
See less See more
The peeps have grown quite a bit.

How was mom with the rest of the flock? Some are lackadaisical about the flock approaching. Others are quite forceful in making them stay away.
The peeps have grown quite a bit.

How was mom with the rest of the flock? Some are lackadaisical about the flock approaching. Others are quite forceful in making them stay away.
Yeah their getting their iv never raised them before and I don’t k in the breed so don’t know if the froth rate is kinda normal, she’s been okay with the rest of them the more dominant hens have had a little peck to the establish thier dominance but after that been okay, they come running up the garden the same as all the rest of the flock now so I feel like I’m doing somthing right. What’s your opinion on the peeps are there any concerns I could Address before they come up? This is my days eggs theirs a small white one I’m not sure who it came from I don’t thjbknits the silkie as she still had the peeps I’m thinking it could be my small red Pyle leghorn as she hasn’t layn yet that I know about
Bird Wood Beak Grass Road surface

Vertebrate Egg Mammal Wood Egg

Gesture Wood Finger Thumb Egg
See less See more
I don't think you need to be concerned about how they're doing. Mom has done a good job, you've done a good job with the flock. Sometimes stuff happens and there's nothing we can do about it. It's part of the having chickens as lawn ornaments.

I'd lean towards it being the leghorn. That egg looks a might big for a Silkie. And so you know, just because they have the peeps with them will not slow down Silkie egg laying when their bodies decide it's time. I've seen them begin to lay again after six weeks of raising new peeps.
I don't think you need to be concerned about how they're doing. Mom has done a good job, you've done a good job with the flock. Sometimes stuff happens and there's nothing we can do about it. It's part of the having chickens as lawn ornaments.

I'd lean towards it being the leghorn. That egg looks a might big for a Silkie. And so you know, just because they have the peeps with them will not slow down Silkie egg laying when their bodies decide it's time. I've seen them begin to lay again after six weeks of raising new peeps.
Thanks iv tryd my hardest to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible, it’s a weird one she hasn’t really grown much and iv had her a while I thought she’d have layn bye now, the brown leghorn I got is growing pretty fast but not sure if it’s her either could be either one, but the red Pyle one isn’t growing much atawl I don’t know what’s up she eats pleanty and is well liked with the other birds. I’m stumped.
Which are you talking about? The Cuckoo Silkie? Or do you have another one besides her.

It is possible the leghorn is a bantam.
Which are you talking about? The Cuckoo Silkie? Or do you have another one besides her.

It is possible the leghorn is a bantam.
No the red Pyle leghorn she wasn’t sold as a bantam Mabey thier was a mix up in the pens, iv seen other hens he has same kind but much bigger.
There can be different reasons for slow or minimal growth. Red could just be slow maturing. That does happen frequently. Or it's going to remain small just because something in it's genetics said to stop growing.
There can be different reasons for slow or minimal growth. Red could just be slow maturing. That does happen frequently. Or it's going to remain small just because something in it's genetics said to stop growing.
As long as I know it’s not somthing in doing or could be doing, I got a little surprise this morning making my lunch for work a little double yoker ☺
Jaw Flash photography Automotive lighting Serveware Circle
See less See more
You will probably see a few more of those.

Do you collect eggs frequently? Like every single day and sometimes multiple times? Since you have the roosters you could see a fertilized egg land in your pan with a partially developed chick. So, be careful.
121 - 140 of 150 Posts