Chicken Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Hoping to clear some confusion I have after reading a few posts from all over regarding fermenting feed.
I have a flock of 10 birds, they are in a run or the coop all day mid week and I let them into the property when I get home in the evening. On weekends they are always put on the property.
My question is if I am trying to get a fermented feed system going do I need to have 7 containers or 1 big one. I just want to do it right the first time. I use a mix of whole grains and a high quality non gmo ground feed.
I want to switch to fermented feed soon but would like I do it right and as easy as possible.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I keep the dry feed in tubs in a tool shed near the coop would this be the best location for the bucket? Then I would strain out a certain amount every morning and night, adding back the amount I take out.
Is that correct?

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
So if I keep the dry feed in tubs in a tool shed near the coop would this be the best location for the bucket? Then I would strain out a certain amount every morning and night, adding back the amount I take out.
Is that correct?
Yes, you can feed out of that bucket and it's the best place for it. If you mix it to the right consistency, you won't have to strain it at all..just scoop it out. Drill holes in the bottom of your trough feeder to allow any excess moisture to escape from your mix..which is minimal..and just feed it at a mortar or peanut butter consistency.

You don't replace dry feed to the mix until your bucket starts to get down to the bottom, but still has a little FF still in it and then you just fill it back up with dry feed and fresh water, stir it very well, and let it sit overnight. The existing fermented water in the bottom reservoir and the remaining FF will mix with the fresh water and feed and jump start your fresh feed into fermentation.

Then you feed out of it all week all over again....you never really ever run out of FF but just keep a rolling batch going at all times. Like sourdough bread mix.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just started the fermented feed a few days ago, and the chickens LOVE it! I put the feed (pellets and oats) in a 2 qt pitcher (that's missing its lid), add apple cider vinegar and warm water and stir. I covered with cheese cloth overnight, and fed all my chickens the next day.

My question is when y'all are talking about the trough feeders, what did you mean? Can you post some pics of that and can I make one myself?

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Yes, you can make one yourself out of PVC, rain guttering(it has a coating on the inside that keeps the FF from corroding the metal but that eventually wears off, so PVC might be the way to go), wood, plastic, etc.

Here's a rain gutter feeder made from vinyl guttering...

One from PVC that someone has hung from the ceiling...

Another PVC that has a base to it and is not hung from the ceiling...

And a few wooden troughs....

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome. I will pickup a bucket and start it up tomorrow after work. I already have a home made trough ready to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts