Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, he’s only a little feral- he’s actually pretty friendly considering someone left him at the visitors center in the middle of town for about a week.... wasn’t sure where else to post this.

I’m working to build some trust, but any suggestions that will make this any faster/easier appreciated! One of the ladies that works here felt bad for him and asked my husband about it, and he volunteered us. Pretty little banty fella. He’s like a tiny RIR crossed with a splash Serama. Kinda! Friendly enough still he gets close for treats but not close enough to touch- juuuust out of reach.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

And gotten comfortable enough to start grooming within a parking space or so of me, so I’m confident it’s not a lost cause yet.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
If he roosts in one of the buildings at night might be the best chance for getting him.

The other would be to get a live trap and put another bird in there to entice him in.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah! We were discussing how to catch him, and decided to bring a crate with a hen, some more soldier worms (found a love there) and see what we can do!
We almost got him to hop in my back window earlier but not quite.
He’s clearly been taken care of until recently, he appears in good health at least, and he will still come almost within arm’s reach. Sadly he is the 3rd ‘set’ of chickens that have been dumped off just in town! Which is crazy when literally 5 mins away is outside of town in any direction. I guess they hoped someone would find them? I don’t know. I don’t get it.

As for where he’s roosting- your guess is almost as good as mine! There is some brush/shrubbery/young trees screening the house behind the center, lots of thicket there. There are also a few outdoor structures in their back yard, and a couple around the old visitors center too. It ALSO sits beside a park that includes some picnic shelters. But, maybe tonight one of us can watch to see where he goes and get him after dark.

I really like this guy. His look and everything is really cool- he has to be either half or full Serama. His carriage, with that tail touching his head..... that deep V and upright wings. Has to be. We haven’t even heard the first noise out of him either.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are a couple better edits of him too. Mayne [mention]danathome [/mention] can weigh in on his Serama-like look?

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
I don't get it. People don't usually just dump Seramas because they are in demand by others. One of the few chickens that can be kept in the home when they're not allowed to have chickens.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t either. So he’s gonna be getting a new home with us today if we have any say in the matter!
When hubbs asked me to bring the treats to him at work at 7:30 I knew the roo must be something special... all we can guess is they either had too many and either left him or he went off to find his own flock...? No chickens being kept anywhere nearby that we know of though, at least not outside. No clue, Robin. He’s a cute little cuss though, and even if we aren’t his forever home he shouldn’t be too hard to find one for. Fingers crossed anyway.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
This ought to be a fun scene. Adult humans trying to round up a bird that doesn't want to be caught. Especially one as quick and agile as he is.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right? Always an adventure! Hahaha
I honestly don’t know how much trouble he will give us. He acts like he almost wants to be caught.... but not quite. He seems friendly enough, or he wouldn’t have been as close as he was, even with treats. Or when he startled he might have acted aggressive or something- but none of that whatsoever. It’ll be interesting- I’ll keep you posted!

·
Serama King
1,374 Posts
Looks like full serama to me; especially the tail. I can vouch for the fact that being a serama will not insure against being dumped by a ___owner. How big is he, though there are many serama out there as big as silkies?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would place him around class b/c area for size; slightly larger in the body than my Chip, but not as big as Tiny either. (Tiny isn’t even a year old yet so he’s still filling in.) So a bit on the larger side but the second visit after looking at him some more I agree he has to be full Serama.

Now the the exciting part; he actually escaped from the ppl who live behind the center, who were supposed to be taking him to their farm as a favor to a friend. However. They only have full size chickens and he said flat out his “rooster would probably kill him and if we can catch him we can have him.”

Hubbs has been keeping an eye on him thru the day, and we are meeting up there again at 7. He def liked Jackie, but also tried to mount her first thing which she was having none of, and in the commotion he slipped away. He’s a fast one too!

So we are going with the find the roost method tonight.

·
Serama King
1,374 Posts
I would place him around class b/c area for size; slightly larger in the body than my Chip, but not as big as Tiny either. (Tiny isn’t even a year old yet so he’s still filling in.) So a bit on the larger side but the second visit after looking at him some more I agree he has to be full Serama.

Now the the exciting part; he actually escaped from the ppl who live behind the center, who were supposed to be taking him to their farm as a favor to a friend. However. They only have full size chickens and he said flat out his “rooster would probably kill him and if we can catch him we can have him.”

Hubbs has been keeping an eye on him thru the day, and we are meeting up there again at 7. He def liked Jackie, but also tried to mount her first thing which she was having none of, and in the commotion he slipped away. He’s a fast one too!

So we are going with the find the roost method tonight.
The roost method is best and hopefully you won't have a hard time finding it. Too big serama carry genes for small serama should you decide to breed him.

·
Serama King
1,374 Posts
Well, now you know his backstory. I wonder why he didn't return home after escaping being moved.
If I'm reading it right, the rooster came to them from a friend and they were going to take him to their farm. It would seem they had not had he rooster very long so the rooster never learned where "home" is.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
I really don't know how to interpret what she said. But what you said makes sense on why he didn't return home.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I'm reading it right, the rooster came to them from a friend and they were going to take him to their farm. It would seem they had not had he rooster very long so the rooster never learned where "home" is.
Bingo- what he said! Apparently I typed this last night without posting——

This was the first day they were just bringing him to their house before they went to the farm; so they say anyway! Idk. We went at 6:30 but couldn’t find him anywhere; there are a TON of little sheds and porches and trees and thicket right there, so really could be anywhere...

Day two begins now...

·
Serama King
1,374 Posts
Bingo- what he said! Apparently I typed this last night without posting——

This was the first day they were just bringing him to their house before they went to the farm; so they say anyway! Idk. We went at 6:30 but couldn’t find him anywhere; there are a TON of little sheds and porches and trees and thicket right there, so really could be anywhere...

Day two begins now...
As a teacher I have had decades of deciphering student work. Yours was easy compared to what some junior high students wrote!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
4 HOURS LATER......

Success! We finally cornered him against a fence and behind a thorny bush- not fun for any of us but hubbs grabbed him anyway!

He is resting with some water now, and we are getting another cage to use for the next few days. (If the lady had brought back our dog crate the big rooster went home with her in, we wouldn’t need to buy anything- an XL dog crate for a Serama is more than enough for a temporary coop! But alas..... no.)

So anyway, gonna work w him for a week or two and see how he settles and go from there. Pics later. He’s pretty!

·
Serama King
1,374 Posts
4 HOURS LATER......

Success! We finally cornered him against a fence and behind a thorny bush- not fun for any of us but hubbs grabbed him anyway!

He is resting with some water now, and we are getting another cage to use for the next few days. (If the lady had brought back our dog crate the big rooster went home with her in, we wouldn’t need to buy anything- an XL dog crate for a Serama is more than enough for a temporary coop! But alas..... no.)

So anyway, gonna work w him for a week or two and see how he settles and go from there. Pics later. He’s pretty!
If you are going to tame him, work with him while you have another tame bird. This is very calming to a bird being tamed and he will settle down much faster. I've also found that working with a bird right away while the surroundings are strange to the bird helps. Birds usually realize you're not going to hurt them so you are safer than the unknown surroundings. GOOD LUCK.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts