Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie to chickens. I am sure I did 4 or 5 things wrong in the following situation, but please be easy on me :)
I have 8 Seramas, 2 roosters and 6 hens. They are 3 months old. We live in the city and I got them as pets. I love to sit in the middle of the yard and hand feed them. I give them many different things, but tonight was macaroni night. I fed them one at a time and the frenzy lasted until I ran out. They all need to check my hands to verify there is no more, so I grabbed Buttercup randomly to give him a little love when I saw he still had a noodle in his mouth. I waited for him to swallow and he didn't. I looked closer to find out the pasta slipped over his tongue and wasn't able to swallow it. I got it off and am thankful he is ok. happened to

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Check back in a couple of months and let us know if your roosters start to "be mean" to you. It should be interesting to know if the imprinting that is happening now will affect them down the road like it has for so many others.

I don't see anything wrong with pulling the macaroni off his tongue.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bee said:
Check back in a couple of months and let us know if your roosters start to "be mean" to you. It should be interesting to know if the imprinting that is happening now will affect them down the road like it has for so many others.

I don't see anything wrong with pulling the macaroni off his tongue.
Hi, I was just reading this & am curious to know what is the 'imprinting that is happening now' & more about it. I'm new to chicken keeping, only had my chickens for a week.
Thx

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thank you I found that very interesting! My 10 chickens I have, 8 are from a breeder who hardly handled & 2 are from a farm & were handled daily. They are hens & not at point of lay but the 2 from the farm would try to roost on us at bedtime & are overly friendly, flying on to us etc if scared by one if the 8 chickens who only pay a interest if there is a chance we have food!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts