Chicken Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the forum and owning chickens. Hope you all can help with some advice. I have a new large hen who, for various reasons, has a LOT of feathers that she needs to grow back. She is being fed Purina Layena layer feed, grit, and oyster shells. She loves scrambled eggs, and I would like to give her some each day to increase her protein intake to help grow in her feathers.

My question is: What amount of scrambled eggs is a good amount to give her daily? There are a lot of warnings on the Internet about feeding too many extra foods on a daily basis and about excessive amounts of protein.

I've had her a little over a week. She laid one soft egg, yesterday.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
140 Posts
You could try switching the entire flock to a "Feather Fixer" or "Flock Raiser" feed that has higher protein for a bit, just make sure you have oyster shell on the side for calcium. These will be specially formulated so your bird is still getting the correct amount of nutrients and you don't see negative effects.

Unless my birds are very ill, I try not to switch up their feed too much or drastically increase their intake of a certain nutrient. Seems to do more harm than good when I mess with it, and they've always healed perfectly fine once I've treated whatever caused the injury. But, if you really want to, treats should really not exceed 2 tablespoons per chicken.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm. Okay. I have a huge bag of Purina Layena that I just opened, so I think I will just see how she does on the regular feed and forget about adding in extra protein. I do see some feathers starting to grow in places, and she is eating well. I was just hoping to speed up the process and help her recover faster. If she has bald patches that still don't want to grow in after some time, I will try the Feather Fixer. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless there's scar tissue there or some genetic anomaly she will eventually grow back all of her feathers. Just in time for Winter.

Other than that has she settled in with the others?
She's quarantined for now, from all but one other chicken that I'm keeping next to her. She seems pretty happy, though. She's eating great and laid a beautiful egg today.

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
2,168 Posts
Hi,

New to the forum and owning chickens. Hope you all can help with some advice. I have a new large hen who, for various reasons, has a LOT of feathers that she needs to grow back. She is being fed Purina Layena layer feed, grit, and oyster shells. She loves scrambled eggs, and I would like to give her some each day to increase her protein intake to help grow in her feathers.

My question is: What amount of scrambled eggs is a good amount to give her daily? There are a lot of warnings on the Internet about feeding too many extra foods on a daily basis and about excessive amounts of protein.

I've had her a little over a week. She laid one soft egg, yesterday.

Thanks all!
Like two eggs or just give her a lot because she’s growing feathers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts