Chicken Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a rooster live off of scratch feed? I know they make feed for roosters, but I don't think Tractor Supply has it, and our local feed store has jack.

·
Administrator
23,781 Posts
No. It doesn't provide a full range of vitamins and minerals they need.

What I did with my Silkies, since I kept my roosters for a long time, I fed everyone a 20% feed. The girls all had calcium offered on the side. Even peeps can eat that. It was just the simplest way to feed everyone a good diet.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure.

Ohh, that's a good idea. I'll probably do that when I finally get hens! I'll have to keep looking for rooster feed then. Thank you!

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's typically called "Flock Raiser" or "All Flock" or something of that nature, not rooster feed. I feed Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shells in a separate dish to my chickens when I have young, non-laying hens in the flock, then switch back to layer feed when all hens are laying. If you can't find it in your local store, try ordering it online.

Though roosters don't need the extra calcium, layer feed won't hurt ADULT roosters. A higher protein feed with less calcium is ideal, however. You can google "Layer Feed vs. All Flock Feed" and probably find some articles that discuss so you can make an informed decision. If you just have roosters, though, an all flock would do perfectly fine.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't have to look for "rooster feed." Just look for chicken feed that doesn't have extra calcium in it for laying hens. Even starter feed fits that bill.
Oh, okay. Thanks!
It's typically called "Flock Raiser" or "All Flock" or something of that nature, not rooster feed. I feed Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shells in a separate dish to my chickens when I have young, non-laying hens in the flock, then switch back to layer feed when all hens are laying. If you can't find it in your local store, try ordering it online.

Though roosters don't need the extra calcium, layer feed won't hurt ADULT roosters. A higher protein feed with less calcium is ideal, however. You can google "Layer Feed vs. All Flock Feed" and probably find some articles that discuss so you can make an informed decision. If you just have roosters, though, an all flock would do perfectly fine.
Gotcha. I'm pretty sure tractor supply has all flock feed. Thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts