Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been raising chickens for years and during the winter I only feed them cracked corn and wheat. I hear alot of people say that is not good but I have never had a problem and was wondering if there is anyone else that does the same. Thanks

·
441 Posts
And I do nearly the opposite. My birds get a layer feed or flockraiser feed all year-round and I avoid corn except in the winter. My waterfowl do have some corn in their feed, but it's only a small amount and only one of 7 grains in their feed.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
And I do nearly the opposite. My birds get a layer feed or flockraiser feed all year-round and I avoid corn except in the winter. My waterfowl do have some corn in their feed, but it's only a small amount and only one of 7 grains in their feed.
I do the same. Not enough of the other essential vitamins the chickens need. Corn is a good filler and good for helping them stay warmer during the cold weather. I give cracked corn and scratch grain as an occasional treat in their run to give them something to do during the snowy days when they're stuck indoors.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Corn turns to sugar in their systems. It can cause fatty liver syndrome, a slow death from liver failure. Fat chickens aren't happy chickens! I fed it to mine as a treat,or right before bedtime in the cold months and those sweet little faces would try to beg more from me, but I had to stand firm!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hummm... I am a complete novice but I understood that you have to feed cracked corn to them to get the awesome rich deep yellow yellow yolks and the wonderful flavor I am searching for in my eggs. Am I wrong on this? How much corn should I feed to keep them healthy yes still get the rich eggs? I hope there is a good solution!
-- Beth

·
441 Posts
Hummm... I am a complete novice but I understood that you have to feed cracked corn to them to get the awesome rich deep yellow yellow yolks and the wonderful flavor I am searching for in my eggs. Am I wrong on this? How much corn should I feed to keep them healthy yes still get the rich eggs? I hope there is a good solution!
-- Beth
The rich deep yellow color comes from beta carotene in the birds diet. Dark greens are high in beta carotene. It's for this reason that chickens allowed to free range on pasture have the darkest yellow yolks. Some other foods high in it are: sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The rich deep yellow color comes from beta carotene in the birds diet. Dark greens are high in beta carotene. It's for this reason that chickens allowed to free range on pasture have the darkest yellow yolks. Some other foods high in it are: sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash.
Our flock free ranges on pasture all day long and the eggs have the darkest yolks I have ever seen. These are my first chickens. They also get fed whole corn, scratch & BOSS plus layer crumbles are always available. They are fluffy, (Cochins) shiny, and full of energy. The BLRW's look beautiful in the daylight their colors so enriched from the sun's rays. The nights are 20 degrees now and they live in an unheated coop. They peck bird seed from under the bird feeder all the time. They ate leftovers during the summer from the garden and ate the wild grapes running over the fences near our pond. I really don't think that anything most of us buy and feed our chickens is completely bad for them. If they were in the wilds nature would provide only certain foods for that season and climate. Just my novice thought.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Mine love wheat.When they get new straw they scratch through it like crazy looking for the wheat berries that remain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts