Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you give your chickens feed on top of foraging?

I tried giving my layers that special laying hens crumble but they WILL NOT eat it! Lol picky heifers!
We do give them just your regular chicken scratch from the feed store & they love it!

But we are looking for ways to cut costs (I feel like we feed them more than needed), but keep our chickens nutritional needs meet so wondering what's necessary for their well being.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Hscot, I generally keep some pellets or crumbles around, especially lately because its cold and the bugs aren't out yet. When it's nice and warm outside, then they eat very little processed food. There are just so many tender shoots and bugs to enjoy. So just be a little patient as soon buying food will really not be very important if you're free ranging them.

·
Banned
162 Posts
I find that even my Buckeyes, who are the very best of free rangers, lay better if I provide a good, high-quality feed. I like to use a ration that has animal protein in it, since chickens are the original omnivore, I don't believe in a vegetarian feed for them. If you're depending on the eggs from your flock, or meat from a dual purpose bird, I personally feel you'll get better production if you supplement their range with feed.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
During the summer I rarely feed my flock commercial feed. They forage all day free range and get kitchen scraps. I do however give them egg shells for the calcium . During the winter, late fall, early spring I give feed.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
During the summer I rarely feed my flock commercial feed. They forage all day free range and get kitchen scraps. I do however give them egg shells for the calcium . During the winter, late fall, early spring I give feed.
That's pretty much my schedule too. Paying for feed over winter gets pricey.
That makes 3 of us. They get nothing but kitchen scraps and what they forage except in the winter when I throw some layer mash into their diet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts