Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to give my hens the best diet I can so that the eggs that I get in return will be more nutritious, and to also make sure my hens are healthy. That being said, what foods (including veggies and plants -not just bought seed mixes) are healthy for egg-laying hens? And, when it does come to buying feed, are there any common chicken food ingredients that I should look for? Also, what particular nutrients do egg-layers require (apart from the obvious being Calcium) to produce good eggs?
At the moment, I'm feeding them a layer feed which includes ground corn kernels, sunflower seeds and pellets, the odd mealworm I can find in the yard, and they also get to eat grass and weeds. I've been also putting Apple Cider Vinegar in their water, which is supposed to boost their immune system as I suspect they aren't in the best of health from the previous owner. -I just bought the chickens

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
If they came from questionable homes I would make sure they don't have mites and do a worming. You're not in the states so I don't know what you have available there for doing a complete worming of the girls. Where you get your feed from should be able to help you with the wormer and what to use if they have mites.

Any commercial layer feed should be fine as long as it's fresh and stored properly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.
I suspect they have mites, as they've been scratching/grooming themselves a lot. I put some aglime in their nesting boxes which is supposed to kill mites, and I think it's working. As for the worming, I gave them some pumpkin, which is supposedly a natural de-wormer but they didn't eat it, and I'm not sure weather they even had worms in the first place as I can't see any symptoms.
It's good to know that any old layer feed it good enough, that was one of my main concerns. (y)

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Pumpkin wont eliminate worms, nor will pumpkin seeds. You need a real wormer. Kilverm is available in Australia, that's what you need to worm your birds with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts