Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 week old are eating twice as much of the duck grain and drinking twice as fast. Should I start to change their diet to something other than starter feed and if so when and what? Also when should I start leaving a little baby pool in their pin for them to swim in?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
What kind of feed do you have them on? Is the protien at an appropriate level as well as the niacin ? Oh and what is duck grain ?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I just read the back of the feed bag. The brand I buy has a chart right on it showing what they need for feed at what age. Mine are 6 1/2 weeks old now and on starter/grower feed till 10 weeks. After that I think they go on the finisher feed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have them on purina flock raiser. I looked on the back and it doesn't say the level of niacin it just says it has it. It say crude protein, min- 20%. The bag says keep th on this until week 18.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
You should be okay then. Mine are on Dumor and that brand is broken down into 3 or 4 levels with the last being the food they will stay on as adult. With the feed and what they get for healthy treats, they get quite a few added vitamins. Yours must be growing fast too I bet! Figured out my one is a girl when she started quacking at the beginning of the week. The other still doesn't quack but peeps so its a boy. At least now I can name them approriately! :D

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I have them on purina flock raiser. I looked on the back and it doesn't say the level of niacin it just says it has it. It say crude protein, min- 20%. The bag says keep th on this until week 18.
Your fine then, their just eating to accomidate all the growing their doing.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Sorry missed the pool question. If their in the brooder dont give them any water except their drinking water. If they are outside make sure your pool has steps inside and out so they can get in and out or they will drown. I started mine with a kiddie pool at about 4 weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome! Cute I hope mine quack soon. What are good treats to give them. They won't eat out of my hand they bolt when I get close, is that normal?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Awesome! Cute I hope mine quack soon. What are good treats to give them. They won't eat out of my hand they bolt when I get close, is that normal?
Mine LOVE peas. When they're little I sqeeze the pea so it pops out of the skin for them. When their larger they eat the whole thing. Make sure you give them grit though. And yes totally normal for them to freak when you hand comes near. All their instincts tell to be afraid of giants lol . But yeah they'll warm up to you, then go be afraid, then warm up lol Dont expect them to be all buddy buddy with you at all times, even as adults they are leary , but they'll love you when the treats come out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts