Feathery Legs

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by MadDojah, Aug 8, 2020.

1. MadDojah

MadDojah Member

Hey guys! I have two 5-6 week old Black Orpingtons and this one seems to have feathers on her legs. Is this normal or could it not be an Orpington? IMG_2662.jpg IMG_2662.jpg

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

It's something else, not an Orp. Might even be a mix because the legs are not heavily feathered.

3. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

yeah I agree with Robin, it must be a mix (and is a rooster)

Poultry Judge likes this.
  4. MadDojah

MadDojah Member

Oh shoot! I thought that the cheeks might be looking male

5. Sylie

Do you mean the fuzzy cheeks? Those are part of his breed, the feathered legs and cheeks signal any one of several breeds.
    He is already growing wattles and they are very red (wattles are the red flappy bits under his chin) Also the size and redness of his comb for his age.

MadDojah likes this.
  6. robin416

I think the OP is talking about the wattles.

MadDojah likes this.
  7. MadDojah

MadDojah Member

Thanks! Yes, I meant the wattles! Still getting my terminology down. Each of the breeds look so different, it’s hard to decide now. Haha

I have two Wyandotte’s as well and their combs are much more red than the other hens, but not sticking up and no wattles, this guy has wattles but his other Orpington mates comb is just as large if not larger.

8. robin416

Some good pics of the group and someone can tell you what they are. It might relieve some of the not knowing who is what. :)

MadDojah likes this.
  9. MadDojah

MadDojah Member

IMG_2742.jpg
    The two Wyandotte’s

IMG_2736.jpg

Lighter Easter Egger and Dark Orpington (feathery legs)

IMG_2666.jpg
    Spotted Easter Egger and Dark Orpington (bare legs)

10. robin416

One of the Wyandottes could be a boy. It's hard to tell because I can't see the combs well on any of them. And truth be told, they'll all tell you I'm not the best when it comes to sexing breeds other than silkies.

MadDojah likes this.
  11. Sylie

The wyandottes: One looks like it is a gold lace and silver lace mix, darker neck feathers, that one is possibly a roo. The other one is probably a pullet.

The light EE looks pullet to me but Mitzy is the EE expert.

The feather legged orp, can't tell because he/she is upside down...

The spotted EE (is that the same bird as the first EE?) either way, that's a pullet too

The nonfeathered dark orp: not really sure but looks like it could be a roo. A closer picture and from the side would help.

12. MadDojah

MadDojah Member

Thanks so much!! I will get better pictures today and load em up! That is the same EE as the other photo with the speckles. The feather legged one you guys told me was not an Orpington and also a roo on another post, so that one I wasn’t too worried about

13. Sylie

It may not be an orp, I was basing my statements on what you identified them as so that you would not be confused about which one I was talking about. :D

It is always possible that the feather legged "orp" is a cross. Hard to tell sometimes, who knows what mass breeders let their chickens do hahaha

MadDojah likes this.
  14. MadDojah

MadDojah Member

For sure I gotcha! Thanks
    And yeah, I guess it doesn’t matter as long as he/she is happy and healthy. Boots is what we call him lol always the last one in the coop and chases around the others until they all get inside. I have heard this is rooster behavior!

15. robin416

A dominant hen can behave the same way. Personality comes into play with all of them. Some are more bold and forceful while others are just a live and let live. Very much like humans.

16. MadDojah

MadDojah Member

Their different personalities are so cute! Some of them like to be held and pet and some would rather not lol and some are much more vocal and curious than others. I knew I would love having chickens but I didn’t realize how much fun I would have just observing them.

17. robin416

I compare them to watching fish in an aquarium, they can be very relaxing. Many have chairs or benches set up outside specifically for watching the birds do what the birds do.

18. MadDojah

MadDojah Member

IMG_2758.jpg IMG_2757.jpg IMG_2755.jpg

19. MadDojah

MadDojah Member

I actually already set up a whole table and chairs right outside the coop and moved one of my greenhouse tables over to the same area so I can watch while I’m working and relaxing lol I’ve had aquariums as well and you are so right! I didn’t think of the similarity.

20. robin416

Those two dark birds seem to hang together more than with the rest. I noticed my Silkies would do the same thing. They would separate into color groups.