Chicken Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello chicken people!
Long post I’m sorry!!!

So I’m Having an issue with 2 of my Red Stars pecking at my Cochin Roosters feet, they have plucked all his feathers off his front (I found him a bloody mess) I bright him in cleaned him up and first tried an iodine ointment to help his feet heal. Was advised not to wrap. So I took him out. Immediately they went at him again. Brought him back in cleaned him again making sure there were no traces of blood. So I then put hen healer (it’s blue) on him let him chill inside for a bit, took him out they left him alone for a bit, but then went at his feathers again. AGAIN brought him in soaked his feet in epsom salt cleaned him up, and next tried blu kote. I hate that stuff. But let it dry and took him back out. And AGAIN they went for it. So i removed the 2 reds for 1/2 a day. (Keeping them inside is too hot, we are in colder temps now) today they left him alone for a bit, but then they started going at him again. Brought him in washed him up, and tried Peck no more, took him out and they STILL KEEP MESSING with him, the boys peck isn’t working either. i decided to wrap him and put no peck on the wrap. Didn’t work. I also put butter apple spray on his feathers and wrap. Nothing is working!! I want to bring him in for a few days, but my house is too warm, my mud room is too warm, and my garage is heated. I also don’t want to separate him from the flock because hes kinda sensitive (if that makes sense) and I don’t think that will even work if I brought the girls in either, I feel like they would still do it. Pinless peepers are also not an option, I don’t think I could get them on correctly, and I don’t want to hurt the 2 girls either. So my question also is could they have a protein issue? I’m feeding a 20% protein All flock. I do have molting chickens, but I also have some that are not molting, and they don’t pick feathers. It’s not a space issue, they have plenty. I really could use some solid advice on what to do. Because I’m becoming kinda emotionally drained over this.
Road surface Fawn Chicken Phasianidae Galliformes

·
Registered
236 Posts
Lack of protein is not the issue. You've discounted one of the options I would give you----pinless peepers. FWIW, they do not hurt the chickens and are not difficult to put on. You can always rehome the rooster or the hens, also. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lack of protein is not the issue. You've discounted one of the options I would give you----pinless peepers. FWIW, they do not hurt the chickens and are not difficult to put on. You can always rehome the rooster or the hens, also. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
I guess I’m just scared to use them, I’ve heard of them making their noses bleed.

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
They will but only when you remove them. But they really do work.

Seeing your setup you have plenty of space to put in a cage to lock the two troublemakers up so they can't get at him.

But to end the trouble, I'd just get rid of the two.

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
Personally, I'd get rid of the two Red Stars. I've owned them and they are a pain in the neck. I dont care if they lay 2 eggs a day for the rest of their lives. I'll never own them again.
In your case, they will probably pick on any feather footed chicken that you purchase in the future because they know it'll bleed red. It excites them to see the sight of blood and will go for it in a heartbeat. You'll be better off without them, trust me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts