Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have 11 hens all 9 months old that are losing large numbers of feathers just in their tail area at this point. See pictures. What could be the problem? Some are saying worms that it really doesn't look like they are being picked? Ideas? I've been told they are too young to molt. Appreciate some advice.
Bird Vertebrate Turkey Beak Wild turkey
Head Bird Beak Plant Feather

· Administrator
25,039 Posts
No, Blu Kote covers red skin or injuries. Since you have a feather picker it might be a good idea to have some on hand. While I was looking I noticed someone said Blu Kote would works for anti pecking. My question is, how? Does it have an awful taste? I guess a spray bottle of that might be worth a test.

I really can't recommend anything since I never had to use it.

Maybe @dawg53 can.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, Blu Kote covers red skin or injuries. Since you have a feather picker it might be a good idea to have some on hand. While I was looking I noticed someone said Blu Kote would works for anti pecking. My question is, how? Does it have an awful taste? I guess a spray bottle of that might be worth a test.

I really can't recommend anything since I never had to use it.

Maybe @dawg53 can.
Does blue Kote prevent pecking?

It's widely recommended as an anti-pick spray with antiseptic and anti-fungal properties for use on wounds and raw skin. Because chickens are attracted to the color red, the blue coloring helps to prevent pecking at the wound by other flock members.

· Registered
159 Posts
Blu Kote has worked for me to prevent pecking, but I used it on wounds or skin that was a bit redder than your ladies' butts. It does say it has an unpleasant taste, but unfortunately I have not tested this for myself :ROFLMAO: I don't know that it would work if a chicken is specifically pulling feathers, but if it was all I had on hand I would likely give it a shot.

· Registered
21 Posts
they know how to peck, ready to lay, hide and watch if they are pecking on each other... I had three, two where really close friend, when the one goes by the two waited on the little corner and peck on the third...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts