Favorite Breed

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by chklve, Jun 19, 2012.

1. chklve

chklve New Member

What's your favorite breed? I like the Silkie but have only seen them in pictures.

If it's down to chickens I've raised I like the plumage on Rocks.

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Out of my flock I have a few favorites. My first would be my Ancona, she is super friendly, allows the kids to catch her, and chatters instead of clucks. My next fave is my Buff Orpington, I love the fluffy butt, the great orange brown color, and personality. I do like how soft my Barred Rock is but she's not as social as my Ancona. I also have Silkies but not real thrilled with them, they are more for looks than purpose.

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

The kids love their Ameraucanan and as posted before I love my Dominique.

4. furandfeathersfarm

furandfeathersfarm New Member

I love my buff orpington. Super friendly and lays nice big eggs. I also love my lavender Ameracuanas. I love their lav color and the blue eggs are a plus. My Key West chickens hold a special place in my heart, since they are the first breed I really got into and and are a little bit of home for me. ( I was born in Key West) My rooster Smokey turned 13 this summer. He was past of my original Key West flock.

5. vondonna

vondonna New Member

I'd have to say my Reds. Sweetest little things ever. Next it would be the Buff Orpingtons and then next the Barred Rocks.

6. tnfarmgirl

tnfarmgirl New Member

My Reds are my favorites too...they are really very friendly....

7. Keith

Keith New Member

Buff Orpington and Rhode Island Red seem like the two most common breeds I see at least around here.

8. rob

rob New Member

my favorite is my white silkie, i also have a light sussex and a clydach clocker.

9. chicksrluv

chicksrluv New Member

My Buffs & RIR's. Got some young barred rocks. I think I'm going to like them too.

10. Beeorganic

Beeorganic New Member

11. JackAubrey

JackAubrey New Member

I am particularly taken with my Speckled Sussex. I had originally wanted Black Javas, but they are rather difficult to come by. Looked at Dark Cornish, and Dorkings, but thought the Speckled Sussex were beautiful. They are great foragers, dual purpose, docile, but can bear confinement. I free range, but fort them up at night. JA

Attached Files:

12. piglett

piglett Senior Member

oh wow that's a fine looking bird you have there Jack

piglett

13. rob

rob New Member

nice bird, the colours remind me of a grouse ;)

14. Diane

Diane New Member

such a pretty bird! I have two of the speckleds, still very much babies:)

So far with the chicks I have, (australorps,silver laced wyandottes, spec susex, columbian wyandotte, buff orpingtons)..I am finding my Buff babies are the cuddliest/friendliest altho they all are arm hopping when I stick my arms in their cage..

15. ponytailbill

ponytailbill New Member

I also love my buff's- I have one who will perch on my shoulder while I'm gathering the eggs- or she will sit in my lap while I'm enjoying a cup of coffee on the deck.

16. Inglewoody

Inglewoody New Member

Our Buff Orpington is our family favourite... she's so pleased to see us and runs to us and jumps on our shoulders. If we sit down she jumps up for a cuddle... small, golden, rounded and waddly... great personality!

17. UncleJoe

UncleJoe New Member

Another vote for RIR's here. Great layers and very social. I was sitting on a log, splitting wood one day, and one of them flew up on my shoulder. Scared the snot out of me :eek: till I realized what was going on.

18. Riverdale

Riverdale New Member

Buff Orps and Barred Rocks. Calm and gentle.

19. lowery014

lowery014 New Member

Cuckoo Marans, Ameraucanan, Dominique

20. missouri100

missouri100 bantam

Mille Fluers and Quail Antwerp Belgians.

go bantams