Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i just wondered if anyone else is addicted to Faverolles? I have some I hatched and have lost my heart to them- sadly i just lost my cockerel Sammy, but here are his hatchmates, Mary and Martha, and a pic of Sammy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Beautiful birds. Ya know, you might get better genetic diversity with an outside the family Roo. Too bad for your loss as he was a very handsome Roo.

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i will be getting more eggs in the spring- mine are bantams, and very sweet birds! you are right, genetic diversity is maybe the key- he was a sweet guy- they can be sexed 2-3 weeks after hatch, a bonus on them..:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
artsy1 said:
Hi everyone, i just wondered if anyone else is addicted to Faverolles? I have some I hatched and have lost my heart to them- sadly i just lost my cockerel Sammy, but here are his hatchmates, Mary and Martha, and a pic of Sammy
They are beautiful.

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awww... a psycho fav...not possible! :D it happens time to time- i have a new hampshire red that is along those lines...don't know if i'd ever get that breed again

·
Registered
691 Posts
Lots of them around Ohio....see them at the "chicken swaps" all the time!!!

Sorry to hear about the loss of you cockerel :(

Good luck and Happy Hatching!!!

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
really? they are hard to find around here, these girls were from shipped eggs, am hoping to get some more in the spring- mine are bantams, do you see many of them there?

·
Registered
691 Posts
really? they are hard to find around here, these girls were from shipped eggs, am hoping to get some more in the spring- mine are bantams, do you see many of them there?
Ohio is one of the largest poultry breeding and raising states in the USA....one of the largest poultry shows is held in Columbus, Ohio every November, the Ohio National. We see ALL kinds of bantams as well as large fowl at the shows and chicken swaps here in the Buckeye state!:)

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you a member of this club artsy1???
not yet- i keep meaning to join though!

sadly lost another yesterday, same symptoms, i hesitate to bring any new ones in until i get a grip on this- the only sign with Martha was bright green colored poop??

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss! I just lost my little Fav girl Shirley. I have no idea what was wrong with her either. I have the bantams also and they are very hard to find. I ordered eggs which were expensive and not one hatched. I only have my original boys Lenny & Squiggy and some of their kids. My Salmons are throwing some white offspring so I have a couple of younger white girls but no salmon girls. I love the Favs also! They are my favorite breed!

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
where are you located? i know of a couple breeders that sell eggs- did shirly have any symptoms?

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Sorry you lost your chickens. I lost a Roo to what I think was Mareks. Still miss him. I'm sad. I know how you feel. They don't ask for much yet give us so much pleasure.

·
Registered
202 Posts
where are you located? i know of a couple breeders that sell eggs- did shirly have any symptoms?
I am in PA. I had found her initially all puffed up and with a very poopy butt. I washed her up and kept her inside and wormed her and tried to treat her for possible vent gleet. She was still no better and losing weight. I then treated her with corrid thinking maybe it was one of the cocci's but that didn't help either. She wasn't eggbound or anything like that. I don't know what was wrong with her and no one else has shown these symptoms yet. She only shown the lethargy and this pastey sour smelling poop. Oh, and her crop was not impacted and it also did not feel like the water balloon of a sour crop but it did feel like there was sludge in there. Maybe it was sour crop but it didn't present itself in the usual way???

Energyvet.... I am sorry about your rooster. It seems something always happens to the special ones too. Shirley would pull on my pantsleg to let me know she was ready to be held. Then I had to do my chicken chores one handed because I had to carry her around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts