Faverolle

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by artsy1, Dec 23, 2012.

1. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

Hi everyone, i just wondered if anyone else is addicted to Faverolles? I have some I hatched and have lost my heart to them- sadly i just lost my cockerel Sammy, but here are his hatchmates, Mary and Martha, and a pic of Sammy

Attached Files:

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Beautiful birds. Ya know, you might get better genetic diversity with an outside the family Roo. Too bad for your loss as he was a very handsome Roo.

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

They're gorgeous! I have never seen until on here. We don't have them my way.

4. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

i will be getting more eggs in the spring- mine are bantams, and very sweet birds! you are right, genetic diversity is maybe the key- he was a sweet guy- they can be sexed 2-3 weeks after hatch, a bonus on them..:)

5. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Faverolles are more beautiful in person! The show birds are just striking. Fabulous birds.

7. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Sorry for your lose artys1.
    Your girls are so pretty.
    I have never seen these before either.

8. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

They are beautiful.

9. sorrowsmiles

sorrowsmiles New Member

I just sold my Fav. She was about 4.5 months old. Named her Bearded Lady. I would miss her but she was psycho! Lol

Attached Files:

10. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

awww... a psycho fav...not possible! :D it happens time to time- i have a new hampshire red that is along those lines...don't know if i'd ever get that breed again

11. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Lots of them around Ohio....see them at the "chicken swaps" all the time!!!

Sorry to hear about the loss of you cockerel :(

Good luck and Happy Hatching!!!

12. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

really? they are hard to find around here, these girls were from shipped eggs, am hoping to get some more in the spring- mine are bantams, do you see many of them there?

13. BuckeyeChickens

Ohio is one of the largest poultry breeding and raising states in the USA....one of the largest poultry shows is held in Columbus, Ohio every November, the Ohio National. We see ALL kinds of bantams as well as large fowl at the shows and chicken swaps here in the Buckeye state!:)

14. BuckeyeChickens

15. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

not yet- i keep meaning to join though!

sadly lost another yesterday, same symptoms, i hesitate to bring any new ones in until i get a grip on this- the only sign with Martha was bright green colored poop??

16. adorson

adorson Member

I am so sorry for your loss! I just lost my little Fav girl Shirley. I have no idea what was wrong with her either. I have the bantams also and they are very hard to find. I ordered eggs which were expensive and not one hatched. I only have my original boys Lenny & Squiggy and some of their kids. My Salmons are throwing some white offspring so I have a couple of younger white girls but no salmon girls. I love the Favs also! They are my favorite breed!

17. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

where are you located? i know of a couple breeders that sell eggs- did shirly have any symptoms?

18. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Sorry you lost your chickens. I lost a Roo to what I think was Mareks. Still miss him. I'm sad. I know how you feel. They don't ask for much yet give us so much pleasure.

19. adorson

adorson Member

I am in PA. I had found her initially all puffed up and with a very poopy butt. I washed her up and kept her inside and wormed her and tried to treat her for possible vent gleet. She was still no better and losing weight. I then treated her with corrid thinking maybe it was one of the cocci's but that didn't help either. She wasn't eggbound or anything like that. I don't know what was wrong with her and no one else has shown these symptoms yet. She only shown the lethargy and this pastey sour smelling poop. Oh, and her crop was not impacted and it also did not feel like the water balloon of a sour crop but it did feel like there was sludge in there. Maybe it was sour crop but it didn't present itself in the usual way???

Energyvet.... I am sorry about your rooster. It seems something always happens to the special ones too. Shirley would pull on my pantsleg to let me know she was ready to be held. Then I had to do my chicken chores one handed because I had to carry her around.

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Sorry you lost Shirley. How cute she pulled in your pants leg. Chickens are so smart.