Featured Fall Coop

Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by Wigwam7, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Wigwam7

Wigwam7 Member

Our coop got some new fresh straw bedding. We removed the hardware cloth underneath so the chickens could dust bath and scratch freely at their bedding. We still have the fringe, but we covered it up with dirt and straw. I also added a 5 gallon waterer - I was tired of refilling that small one.
    I know the nest box curtains are small...I didn’t have enough fabric. Oh well, I’ll make new ones later!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

A gallon size would have been plenty big enough for them. Think about this, when it gets cold it's liable to freeze so you'll be lugging around a heavy, five gallon jug. In the Summer when the sun is high algae is liable to start growing and you're back to lugging that heavy thing around again to clean.

Curtains are cute though.

chickenqueen likes this.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I thought about getting a 5 gallon waterer. For the same reasons Robin stated, 3 gallon waterers are more manageable; easy to clean and hauling water.

Wigwam7 likes this.
  4. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a 3 gal waterer for 26 chickens and it is more than enough.Come the cold weather,if it freezes your way,you'll need a heated waterer to prevent it from freezing.I got summer waterers and winter waterers and now I'm gonna have to buy heated buckets for the geese,too.It's always something and I'm running out of storage space.

5. Wigwam7

Wigwam7 Member

Here’s the thing - it never gets cold here...usually never below freezing. If it does, I’ll make sure it doesn’t get frozen. The last time I saw water frozen here - that was about 5 years ago.

chickenqueen and nannypattyrn like this.
  6. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

Here too. I have mostly 3 gallon, one 5 gallon for the main flock. When I replace the water, a bit of bleach and a toilet brush clean them up and they're ready to go.

That's a beautiful little coop! I love the curtains.

nannypattyrn likes this.
  7. Wilbur's Mom

Wilbur's Mom Active Member

Love the coop! We have the 5 gal. Hubby likes to “make sure”’he had enough. The curtains are cute too! We are going to have to do something else. Ours is getting pretty small. I’ll post a pic later. Well maybe tomorrow have a ballgame tonight

Wigwam7 likes this.
  8. Wigwam7

Wigwam7 Member

Well, if the 5 gallon waterer becomes a problem in the “deep” winter (Lowest goes to 35 ) I can always use my small 5 quart one. At my local TSC, they have massive 5 gallon waterers...galvanized, nipple waterers, plastic fountains, you name it. Then, they have two small waterers that hold 5 quarts - a galvanized and a plastic fountain. I got the plastic fountain because the galvanized ones are $20+.
    The plastic fountain was hard to use because the “jug” part was so firmly attached to the base, whenever I wanted to refill it or clean out the base, I would have to pull with all my strength, and occasionally throw it on the ground to loosen it. My dad even had some trouble with it. This 5 gallon takes less refills because it lasts longer, and the base just un-snaps from the jug part for easy cleaning. I like it a lot.

9. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Well-Known Member

Wig, we have one just like you and had to use a vice grip to get it off until we stumbled on the idea of using Vaseline on the rubber ring inside the lid. Next time you clean it take the ring out, coat it with Vaseline and wipe the excess off. We've had no further problem with getting it off.

dawg53 likes this.
  10. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I have one that I have to use a tire iron to open. Thanks for the great idea Patty!

nannypattyrn likes this.