extremely tiny eggs-ever had this??

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by stu-hens, Jan 23, 2013.

1. stu-hens

stu-hens New Member

My hens (hybrids) are going great guns laying through this cold snowy weather.However one of my hens is laying very rough ridged shelled eggs for a few days then takes a day off then produces the smallest eggs ive ever seen about 1 inch in size.

She is a goldline R.I.R based hybrid going through her 2nd winter.Surely cannot be diet as the other five are laying their regular eggs.

She has before in the year layed the large lumpy eggs but why should she start laying these minute eggs??:confused:

2. doubleoakfarm

doubleoakfarm New Member

I can't tell you why, but I can tell you we get them occasionally. Usually before or after they quit laying for a molt or if they are slowing down for winter. Our usually don't have a yolk, just the white and a shell. I put a pic below of one little one we saved along with one we gathered today that is our typical size egg.

Curious to see what others say.

image-3657786930.jpg

3. stu-hens

stu-hens New Member

yes very similar except the difference in size is more dramatic with mine,she molted before xmas and has been back in lay for a month now and just last week seems to be alternating from extra large to tiny.

4. doubleoakfarm

doubleoakfarm New Member

We have had some that were smaller with a thicker bumpy shell. Wish I could tell you why it happens. Curious to hear from others.

5. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

For me ... I see it more when a hen is starting to lay or getting ready to stop. (It is normal and it does happen.) The last one I got was from EE, the size and color of a robin egg. (cute as it could be ...)

6. troyer

troyer Junior Member

Is there a yolk in the small eggs?

7. stu-hens

stu-hens New Member

Thanks for your comments.Will wait and see if it continues.
    ...and maybe i will get the hang of loading photos on here:rolleyes:

8. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

As they start or finish they laying cycle, they will sometimes lay what is called "ladder eggs". Going up the ladder in the cycle, or down the ladder. I have one the size of a jellybean here that I though hubbo was yanking my chain with. It was a ladder egg from my bannie hen.