Extra Roos

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Steinwand, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Steinwand

Steinwand Active Member

I need help deciding what to do with my four extra Roos?

2. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Crockpot. Keep the best one and cook the rest.thats what most people do as no one wants or can have them

3. Wilbur's Mom

Wilbur's Mom Active Member

Have to agree with ME. I would hate to let them go only to be eaten by someone else.

4. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Put 'em on the bulletin board at the feed store.People lose their roos and look for mature ones for spring chicks.You may get lucky.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Scrooged Staff Member

It's unfortunate that the reality is that roos are really expendable or unwanted or only one needed when every other fertilized egg a hen lays is male. I try to stay focused on the good life of growing up outside until they are oven stuffer roasters. I love roos and have tried to keep as many as I can. That's why I have 7.

I'll have to see how it goes with the roo and 5 Polish girls go to fit in. I wonder if a male roo can live with 2 silkie roos. I doubt it but it's worth trying.

6. Steinwand

Steinwand Active Member

I love roosters and all but I don't have the space for more hens so I don't have the space for more Roos. :mad: There expensive chicks so I wouldn't feel right about consuming them I'll try selling them first

7. Maryellen

I give my extra roosters to a woman who eats them . I have 4 right now, 3 in one coop with 18 hens and 1 with 2 hens

8. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

I feed mine to the wildlife..o_O

Steinwand and chickenqueen like this.
  9. seminolewind

NM, I wish I could painlessly do that.

dawg53 likes this.
  10. chickenqueen

I feed the vultures.It's fun to watch them and they have a pecking order,too.They even eat the 5 lbs of fat I trim from beef briskets.In the winter when it's snowy,I have problems with starlings pooping everywhere in the coop.I go in and close the door and catch them all and string 'em up.Then I throw 'em out and a hawk eats them,while the other starlings watch.The wildlife gotta eat,too.

11. seminolewind

That, my dear, is gross! :eek:

12. Steinwand

Steinwand Active Member

That is well um one of a kind

seminolewind likes this.
  13. Maryellen

You dont string them up alive do you?

14. Steinwand

Steinwand Active Member

That is one way to give back to the wildlife community

15. chickenqueen

Yeah,they're alive and kicking,otherwise the hawks won't eat them.If you saw what the starlings could do in my coop in a short time(like less than an hour),pooping in the water,food and on my chickens,you may be able to understand.I love all birds except them.In the beginning,I did try to kill but I couldn't even break their necks.I tried shooting them as they left the coop but they dodge the shot.They're indestructible,I guess that's why there are so many but if they are alive and strung up,the hawk gets a good,easy meal.The starlings are a useless,invasive pest species but the hawks are very useful for rodent control and I like to keep them around,even if I have to feed them on occasion.I look at it as a win-win situation for me and the hawks.The starlings can always go poop on someone else's chickens or I will take care of it.

Steinwand likes this.
  16. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

I get them birds in the winter a total PIB ..:eek:

17. seminolewind

Did you try hanging strips in the doorway ?

18. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

My chickens are freaks,they'd see that then not go in or out.

19. seminolewind

With the crows stealing my eggs, I hung up feed bags in the doorway. The crows figured that one out too.

20. Steinwand

Steinwand Active Member

Thats a first I've never heard of crows stealing chicken eggs