Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my girls in April and half still aren't laying yet. The others have been laying for maybe a monthish. Well, I don't know which girl it is, but her eggs are enormous!!!
Here's a pic of the huge egg. Just some perspective, the "small" egg is one of the larger ones being laid in the coop.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Lots of people talk about this phenomenon. It's not that uncommon really. I don't think it's a problem. Maybe more like an oddity. As long as they aren't getting stuck, all is right with the world. Some have double and triple yolks too!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TopTop said:
Probably the one making the most noise.
That's another thing! Most of my girls make very little if any noise when they lay. One in particular goes in there and doesn't make a peep! She lays her egg, hops down and comes out to socialize lol
My mom who's had chickens off and on all her life said she's never seen chickens laying eggs so quietly!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BootedBantam said:
Did you crack it yet?
I haven't yet :-D But so far all the large ones have been double yolkers!! We've had 3 of them and this is the largest egg yet. How cool would a triple yolker be?!?!!!

·
44 Posts
by weight a large egg is 2 oz. extra large is 2.25oz and jumbo is 2.5oz and a last year I went in to collect eggs If I remember correctly I got one that was well over 3 oz it was huge I got a pic somewhere I have to find it. here it is just have to figure out how to post it. and yes it was a double yolker

Attachments

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
My largest egg to date was 3 grams shy of 4 ounces, about 3.87 ounces. It was laid by my hybrid Red-Sex Link hen Ethel.

She dropped a double yolker almost three times a week for her entire life! Even her single yolker eggs were bigger than anyone elses.

·
46 Posts
I came here to post about the giant egg I found today and to see if anyone else ever had a pullet do this. Well, I guess the answer is yes! This girl started laying just last week. I'm surprised it didn't split her in two. One of my friends on Facebook said to give that girl a Tylenol! LOL I'm glad I came here and saw that people were weighing their eggs. I ran in and weighed it and it's 4 1/4 oz (117g)!

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CountryMama said:
I came here to post about the giant egg I found today and to see if anyone else ever had a pullet do this. Well, I guess the answer is yes! This girl started laying just last week. I'm surprised it didn't split her in two. One of my friends on Facebook said to give that girl a Tylenol! LOL I'm glad I came here and saw that people were weighing their eggs. I ran in and weighed it and it's 4 1/4 oz (117g)!
That poor poor girl!! What breed is it?
And congrats!! lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts