Extra extra large eggs!!

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Lady_Alia, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

I got my girls in April and half still aren't laying yet. The others have been laying for maybe a monthish. Well, I don't know which girl it is, but her eggs are enormous!!!
    Here's a pic of the huge egg. Just some perspective, the "small" egg is one of the larger ones being laid in the coop.

Attached Files:

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Lots of people talk about this phenomenon. It's not that uncommon really. I don't think it's a problem. Maybe more like an oddity. As long as they aren't getting stuck, all is right with the world. Some have double and triple yolks too!

3. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

I usually get a few extra large eggs a week. Too big to fit in an egg carton, I keep those for me to eat.:D

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I love the giants.. I keep them and my Bantys for me.. My egg sammiches !! Mmmmm

5. TopTop

TopTop New Member

Probably the one making the most noise.

6. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

That's another thing! Most of my girls make very little if any noise when they lay. One in particular goes in there and doesn't make a peep! She lays her egg, hops down and comes out to socialize lol
    My mom who's had chickens off and on all her life said she's never seen chickens laying eggs so quietly!

7. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

Did you crack it yet?

8. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

I haven't yet :-D But so far all the large ones have been double yolkers!! We've had 3 of them and this is the largest egg yet. How cool would a triple yolker be?!?!!!

9. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

Take a pic if it is! :D

10. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

Definitely!!!!! lol

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Someone from another page said they got a Quad (4) once in all the years they have had chickens. Can you imagine?

12. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I get some doubles and occasionally a triple.. Never 4, that would be cool...

13. Tony-O

Tony-O New Member

Probably not so cool for that poor hen. :eek:

14. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

by weight a large egg is 2 oz. extra large is 2.25oz and jumbo is 2.5oz and a last year I went in to collect eggs If I remember correctly I got one that was well over 3 oz it was huge I got a pic somewhere I have to find it. here it is just have to figure out how to post it. and yes it was a double yolker

Attached Files:

15. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Here's some from yesterday. I've never weighed mine til this morning.. Thanks !!

Attached Files:

16. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

My largest egg to date was 3 grams shy of 4 ounces, about 3.87 ounces. It was laid by my hybrid Red-Sex Link hen Ethel.

She dropped a double yolker almost three times a week for her entire life! Even her single yolker eggs were bigger than anyone elses.

17. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

Yup...I was weighing eggs this morning too!!! Lol chickens are AWESOME!!!

18. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Overachiever it seems. Some kids are just like that. Lol

19. CountryMama

CountryMama Junior Member

I came here to post about the giant egg I found today and to see if anyone else ever had a pullet do this. Well, I guess the answer is yes! This girl started laying just last week. I'm surprised it didn't split her in two. One of my friends on Facebook said to give that girl a Tylenol! LOL I'm glad I came here and saw that people were weighing their eggs. I ran in and weighed it and it's 4 1/4 oz (117g)!

Attached Files:

20. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

That poor poor girl!! What breed is it?
    And congrats!! lol