Ex batts

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by sideways, Dec 18, 2012.

1. sideways

sideways New Member

Hi, two days I collected 6 ex battery hens. All laid eggs.... But today one keeps falling over and cant get up. Apart from that it seems healthy and another looks like it has a limp.... Does anyone have any ideas why?
    Many thanks...

2. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

hi, where are you located? If you are in the UK, there is alot of info and support- here in the US, its rare to have the opportunity to rescue them. How long have you had them, what is there diet, poops, etc- good gauge to see how they are doing. I'd isolate the one that is falling, and monitor her- sometimes they have chronic nutrition deficencies, i'll have to find my info on the diet for them.

3. sideways

sideways New Member

Hi, yes I'm in the uk.
    The poorly girl is nearly better now thanks. I did as you had suggested and isolated her to a very large box in the kitchen... Very sweet she laid an egg every day!!

image-1111385617.jpg

Sharing a G&T......
    (Not really!!)

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Awww, what a sweetheart!

5. rob

rob New Member

im always reading about ex batt hens being rehomed here in u.k. but never near wales. i would love to rehome some.

6. Kellence

Kellence New Member

There is a website where you register your interest for rehoming them it's for all over the UK but I forget what it was called think if u just google rehoming battery hens in the UK should come up

7. englishchick

englishchick Junior Member

I known that British Hen Rescue do alot in the U.K for ex batts. They have their own website and have rehoming days all over the country. I have four myself here in Ireland from two rescue places locally. Ex batts are fabulous and I am pleased that your sick lady seems ok now. I would keep a eye on her though. They have been through a hard time and it take time sometimes to adjust to their new freedom. Good Luck and I hope everything goes well!!

8. sideways

sideways New Member

image-3210312082.jpg

image-2870216337.jpg

Two of the 6 ex battery hens that I recently picked up.
    Compared with one that I rescued last year, you can see the difference and improvement of open space and fresh air makes!

image-1546457437.jpg

9. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

i so envy you guys- we don't have a battery hen rescue here in the US, its just by chance if you hear of them

10. rob

rob New Member

robin, your art work is fantastic.

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Wow, they are in rough shape.

12. englishchick

The do look abit bald for a while, but good food and plenty of fresh water, and abit of TLC, a nice place to potter about they litterally transform in a matter of weeks. Its so rewarding to see them get better and behave like chickens instead of being bullied and penned in in a cage thats far too small.

13. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

There is a forum you can join based in the UK, dedicated to raising ex batts:
    www.exbatteryhens.com
    They have a lot of experience with ex batts and are very helpful. They also have a facebook page.

14. englishchick

Yes I have been on that site many times when I got mine. They are briliant!

15. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

My girls are ex batts too and it's amazing to see them adjust to normal chicken life. Mine had bleeding feet for a few days (I noticed blood on their perches, and the ramp leading to their sleeping quarters). And they certainly weren't too steady on their legs. When you think about it, it is just like Neo when he comes out of the matrix and finds his muscles don't work because he's never used them!

A real buzz for me was watching them take their first dust bath. So lovely!

16. brownstar34

brownstar34 New Member

i have 2 ex batts (charger and duracell)from happy chicks near blackpool and they are brilliant and very nosey but i would be too, they are always to my runs gate first ready for my veggie patch scraps we are so happy with them we are thinkin about rehousing another 6