Turkey EWTs in the backyard...

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by Poultry Judge, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

So this is the current gang of Eastern Wild Turkeys coming up to visit my two, there are nine tonight. They always send one ahead on point to check things out, (I believe out of the picture on the left). They don't pay much attention to me. It's part of the current rural gang activity, Turkey gang, Peafowl gang and Duck gang. The Duck gang is ruthless. EWTs .jpg

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

There a couple of wild turkey flocks on my road but I never see them in my yard.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. Poultry Judge

They come to visit most nights now.

4. danathome

danathome Active Member

I was very surprised when one of my Midget White hens went broody in August and will hatch next week, but I was even more surprised this morning at my other Midget White hen, who has poults that are four-six weeks old, calling out to an, apparently, lost wild poult. I could hear the wild poult calling out-no one close has turkeys so it had to be a wild poult...in September. Such a crazy year!

5. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

It’s such a crazy year even the birds don’t know what they’re doing, just hatching em out left n right!

6. Poultry Judge

And sometimes they are fearless! I was telling Robin that I had two wild juveniles on the roof of my coop this morning thumping around. They left before I could get my phone camera. Sometimes I think they are lost but they will call back and forth a thousand feet that I can see.

7. Poultry Judge

I have always believed that birds are very sensitive to environmental changes.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  8. Overmountain1

YES PJ. YES. My birds were all just, well, weird last night before bedtime. The sunsets have been bizarre, the light gets dim but in a different way and at a different time!

Our big boy attacked my older son last night. To the extent he had to finally take off for the house to make him stop!
    Now, we think we have an idea what the issue was, aside from being generally weird, but that won’t work if he’s gonna take that road. We shall see, we said only free range with an adult outside (as if that helped the first time lol!) But mainly to feel things out moving forward with Quack. (My boy just got a few little scratches, he’s taller than me, now, but still...)

Yeah. Weird birds.... Today and the rest of tonight will be tropical storm rains, maybe it’ll help cleanse some of the smoke and ash particles out of the air for us all....

9. robin416

I noticed a subtle change in the Guinea's behavior a few days before the storm made land. Not so much the chicken pen though.

10. Poultry Judge

From a bird psych point of view, this stuff freaks them out.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  11. Overmountain1

That was my basic take on that- there are fires, and then I’m sure they could sense something about the tropical storm that’s here today too- so he got a pass on that one.... I do feel bad bc I know they can’t understand. They may be smart for birds, but yes they are still birds, after all...

robin416 and Poultry Judge like this.
  12. Poultry Judge

Everything is affected by the storms, barometric pressure and the earth's magnetic fields.

13. robin416

Full moons. Don't forget full moons. And it really is true things get rockin' in the ER on nights with full moons. Witnessed it too many times not to believe it also affects humans in the wrong way.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  14. Poultry Judge

You aren't kidding at all!, my first job was as a surg/psych resident at Broadview State Hospital. And as younger staff we had to wrestle all the time, I was always injured.

15. Overmountain1

Yup- I’m married to a police sergeant- he started his career in Denver tho... and of course worked nights in the roughest part of his department’s patrol. Lol- of course. Anyway, yes. Full moons are universal in affecting species! No doubt.

Nah, Michael barely skimmed us here, not much of anything.

Can’t recall, did I mention we have even had some minor earthquakes in the region too? Obviously the chickens have to hate that too! He’s been fine and normal for the most part since then. Crazy roo.

16. robin416

We had an earthquake when I lived in the N. GA mountains. It made the house shudder. All of my dogs and cats disappeared just before it hit.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.