Ever have a runt

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by OrangeCatRex, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Those are nice birds! The Rocks will be smaller in general. I have several and they are great. I have one Rooster and he is very well mannered, doesn't crow much. And you have one rooster I believe.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Braveheart looks kind of rooish, probably too young to have hackle feathers yet.

3. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks guys. I hate when I tell an owner the wrong thing. Not good for her since he's her favorite.

4. Sheryl Tingley

Sheryl Tingley New Member

OK...well I will keep listening for that crow... :( thanks for your help

5. Sheryl Tingley

I've been watching for those hackle fathers....up close they don't look pointy like some people say of roo's feathers, there is no spur yet... thanks for your help I will let you all know in a few weeks :)

6. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

That's what I do too.

7. Sheryl Tingley

Thanks again for the extra help

8. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Braveheart is a rooster, I'm so sorry :( the coloration is what tells you, males have an extra "white" gene meaning their white bars are double size making them look lighter color than the hens. Also, yes, the comb and wattles are a good sign, he has plenty of comb and wattle to be considered male. Don't worry about hackles and sickles, the sickles come in very last, he'll be crowing long before the sickles make themselves known. A lot of people put a lot of stock in the pointed hackle feathers but to be honest, they are not a very good indication. Hens can have pointed hackles as well, I've seen it a million times.

9. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

What Sylie said, Don't worry about hackles, sickles and spurs. Coloration will also change significantly. Listen for that first raspy crow.