Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered chicks form a hatchery. Everyone in this flock is the same age, but one of them looks like its about 2 weeks old, while others look about the age they are (about 5 to 6 weeks old). She doesn't seem sick and gets along in the flock, but I do have older chickens I hope to integrate them with and worry "Chigger" (the runt) may take a beat down on the pecking order. It could be the breed, ( don't know what breed it is yet), but has anyone else ever had a runt?
I will try to post a pic. ( I'm new to this app and still learning how to operate it). Ok looks like I got a decent pic. The little one is the runt and the one to the left (brown) and the white one are all the same age. I did pick up Chigger, and put her with the other one for comparison and even though she's small, she still managed to jump out of my hand and fly to the ground without a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
Is it a bantam?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I bought two red pullets that are supposed to be RIR but I'm not sure. But I had gotten them and 4 columbian rocks and one of the red ones is still tiny! Everyone else has tons of feathers and is changing colors while she is just a fluff ball and barely starting to get wings and tail feathers. Her overall size has gotten bigger but not at the rate of her "siblings"

She seems healthy and eats and drinks well just tiny. I had expected to lose her but she's still going strong! Hopefully she just catches up one day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I know she is not a Bantam. She was part of a "brown egg layer" assortment package.
Sounds like I may not be the only one. As long as she continues to do ok, I guess there is no reason to worry. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
One of my light brahmas (hatchery stock) was a runt. By the time they were a month old she was only half the size of her "sisters" but she never had any health problems and did eventually grow almost to normal size, it just took forever. With that being said I went out to the coop one morning when she was seven months old and she was in a sleeping position but not breathing. She hadn't displayed any illness previous so it was a bit of a shock but then again her lack of growth could have been an indication something was wrong. She was lucky in the sense her death appeared painless and quick.

Here is a photo of PeeWee and one of her sisters when they were chicks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
That's exactly what mine is doing! Small and not feathering while everyone else is growing and feathering like crazy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh Wow! Thanks for the heads up weelittlechicken. That is very similar to what I'm seeing with "chigger". I guess I'll try not to get too attached as I may find her passed away. Either way she'll be well cared for until her day comes. Thank you to everyone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have one too. We call her Dory since she always seems to be forgetting what she's doing. She's have the size and I was mad thinking I got a bantam and glad to hear this isn't uncommon.

·
Banned
825 Posts
Fortunately....I've NOT had THAT "problem"...but....as with ALL animals...(including HUMANS)...it seems to happen occasionally.
It's a GOOD THING to "keep-in-mind".
THANKS for the info. !
-ReTIRED-
P.S. I had a Grandson born with a difficulty...BUT the Doctors ( Baby Surgeons ) fixed it...over about a month's time. He seemed to be a "runt" for a while after that...but he has CAUGHT-UP............BRIGHT FELLOW also.
"Doo-Doo Occurs" .

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had a runt. Same deal as you; she was half the size of the others, even the one other of the same breed. I named her "Chicken Nugget." She did almost catch up to the others in size by the time they were 6 months old, but was always the smallest. She was a sweet hen, a good layer, and eventually a great mama when she went broody when she was about 2.5 years old. Loved that bird.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ordered some polish from Murray McMurray and I have a runt as well they are 4 weeks old and she is starting to feather out but she is tiny LOL I hope she does not get sick or that she is not sick but she seems fine :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
I just changed out my brooders. I have a barred rock that isn't growing as well. But these ones are only 8 days old so the difference isn't too dramatic yet. She just has no feathers at all. We had to cull one after a few days because she wasn't doing good at all. Hopefully at least 3-4 of them are healthy and happy. I got them from a feed store pretty far away from us. I got everything else (12 assorted birds) from tractor supply and aside from barbecue everyone is thriving.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GenFoe,

I had trouble from some barred rocks when they were 5 to 15 days old. I'd bought them from someone who had ordered them from a hatchery to sell. I paid a whopping $5 each for them and lost 3 barred rocks to pastey butts. They had loose stools and then the vent became blocked. I took them out of e commercial brooder, and built a home made brooder, with more room, and out of 15 I had 11 live. The second order, the ones I got was an assorted brown egg layer mix, and I got the runt from that group. It seems at least 2 of them are growing slow. I'm so happy to hear from everyone's experience. I love how the folks at this forum are nicer and want to help...(as opposed to a different four I also visit). I'm trying not to get attached to Chigger, but as a animal lover it's hard. I'll just hope for the best.also. 8 days is a little early to expect feathers. About 2 weeks is feather time, and fuzzier till them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Karleybellfos said:
I ordered some polish from Murray McMurray and I have a runt as well they are 4 weeks old and she is starting to feather out but she is tiny LOL I hope she does not get sick or that she is not sick but she seems fine :)
That is the hatchery I got mine from. It is a brown, something. Don't really know what breed. But 2 of them Are rather small. Maybe I should call and report this incident. Let them know they have brown runts...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well I mean that the "sisters" have feathers on their wings and she has nothing. My brahmas and all of the barred rocks had pasty butt issues at first too. I'm a stay at home mom though so I can easily check them several times a day and had to clean them up frequently.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heart problems

We had a "runt". She never grew to be the size of the others and after a couple of years of normal behavior she looked really lethargic. I took her to a vet and she said she had a sever heart abnormality. She died a couple of days later. :mad:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My runt (light brahma) was from Murray Mcmurray too. I suspect they have some birds with inferior genetics passing these things on every here and there - not enough to be commercially worth trying to fix, just annoying enough for people buying outdoor flocks they care about in more of a pet fashion than a "lay some eggs or I'll eat you" fashion....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts