ETA of eggs?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Shann0, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Shann0

Shann0 New Member

Lol hi all, I was wondering if y'all might take a look at these pics of my hens and see if you could guesstimate if I still have awhile to wait, or if they might be getting close? Thanks
    Shannon

Attached Files:

2. Bee

Bee Active Member

Just awhile longer...combs and wattles still pretty pale.

3. Shann0

Shann0 New Member

Ok thank you!

4. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Yup still pretty pale. How old are they ?

5. Shann0

Shann0 New Member

Well I'm not quite sure. I got them at the end of may as chicks from tractor supply. But I'm not sure how old they were when I got them. This is a pic a few weeks after I got them:

Attached Files:

6. MaransGuy

MaransGuy New Member

They are beautiful birds! I'm feeling jealous, lol. It wont be too much longer, but it will still be a little while. Post pics of their first eggs please! :D

7. jacksonT

jacksonT New Member

To me they all look like hens I have had chickens for years now and I am pre good at telling hen from rooster at this age.... Let me know if I'm wrong but I think they are all hens :p

8. jacksonT

jacksonT New Member

Except for the one in the back with the long tail.

9. Shann0

Shann0 New Member

JacksonT,

Yes the one in the back ended up to be a Roo! They were all supposed to be hens but he must have slipped through the "sexing" cracks! Lol. I realized he was a Roo a few weeks ago when he seemed to double in size over night and developed really pretty feathering. Then a few days later he crowed! Lol

And I will def post pics of first eggs when they come!

Roger the Rooster:

Attached Files:

10. Bee

Bee Active Member

Wow! What a pretty bird! I have one that looks a lot like him and I think the partridge colored roos are the prettiest out there.

11. Shann0

Shann0 New Member

Thanks! I don't know much I feel like I just lucked out maybe! Lol

12. Shann0

Shann0 New Member

So another question: this is a hen, right? She doesn't have the saddle feathers like my Roo or anything but the two of them have been fighting since yesterday! He has been mounting her and she had been chasing him off with her wings out and throwing her feet towards him. I'm thinking he's just irritating her? Just wanting to make sure. Also, her crown/crest? And wattles seem larger and redder than my other hens:

Attached Files:

13. Shann0

Shann0 New Member

Oops here is a better side picture of her:

Attached Files:

14. MaransGuy

MaransGuy New Member

That is def. a hen. She is a beautiful RIR. By what you described, she doesn't want to be breed so she flogged him. I have an American Game hen that does the same thing. She is the boss hen and thinks she is in charge of him, lol. Maybe it's the same with yours. :)

15. rcorliss

rcorliss New Member

Hi, in my experience if you got them at the end of May they should be laying in November or December.

16. cluck13

cluck13 cluck13

Still a little time to wait, nice flock though - looking forwards to seeing your egg pictures:)

17. Shann0

Shann0 New Member

Thank you very much. :)

18. JazzieBFarm

JazzieBFarm New Member

A good way to check if they're laying of going go lay soon is feeling their pubic bones. If you can fit two fingers (roughly, depending in finger size :p) between them, then they are laying or going to lay soon. You can judge how close they are by how far apart their pubic bones are, if they're almost two fingers, eggs might be coming in a couple weeks. If they're barely one, you got a ways to go :)

19. Bee

Bee Active Member

Unless they are small chickens with a small frame, then you can't judge by finger width.

20. Shann0

Shann0 New Member

Came home today to a surprise!!!

I freaked out! :)

Attached Files: