Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm not quite sure. I got them at the end of may as chicks from tractor supply. But I'm not sure how old they were when I got them. This is a pic a few weeks after I got them:

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
They are beautiful birds! I'm feeling jealous, lol. It wont be too much longer, but it will still be a little while. Post pics of their first eggs please! :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
To me they all look like hens I have had chickens for years now and I am pre good at telling hen from rooster at this age.... Let me know if I'm wrong but I think they are all hens :p

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JacksonT,

Yes the one in the back ended up to be a Roo! They were all supposed to be hens but he must have slipped through the "sexing" cracks! Lol. I realized he was a Roo a few weeks ago when he seemed to double in size over night and developed really pretty feathering. Then a few days later he crowed! Lol

And I will def post pics of first eggs when they come!

Roger the Rooster:

Attachments

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Wow! What a pretty bird! I have one that looks a lot like him and I think the partridge colored roos are the prettiest out there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So another question: this is a hen, right? She doesn't have the saddle feathers like my Roo or anything but the two of them have been fighting since yesterday! He has been mounting her and she had been chasing him off with her wings out and throwing her feet towards him. I'm thinking he's just irritating her? Just wanting to make sure. Also, her crown/crest? And wattles seem larger and redder than my other hens:

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
That is def. a hen. She is a beautiful RIR. By what you described, she doesn't want to be breed so she flogged him. I have an American Game hen that does the same thing. She is the boss hen and thinks she is in charge of him, lol. Maybe it's the same with yours. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
A good way to check if they're laying of going go lay soon is feeling their pubic bones. If you can fit two fingers (roughly, depending in finger size :p) between them, then they are laying or going to lay soon. You can judge how close they are by how far apart their pubic bones are, if they're almost two fingers, eggs might be coming in a couple weeks. If they're barely one, you got a ways to go :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts