Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pullets that are about 4 weeks old, 4 Leghorns and 4 RIR. Recently one of the leghorns has become much more aggressive than the others and won't stop pecking all of them. Is this normal establishing of the pecking order or is she being a bully? Do I need to separate her from the rest? TIA!

·
Administrator
23,486 Posts
Unless you see missing feathers or blood, I would leave her be for now. If she's bullying the others from food or water put an extra set up away from the existing. That way if she is keeping them from food she'd have to really work to keep them away from both.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless you see missing feathers or blood, I would leave her be for now. If she's bullying the others from food or water put an extra set up away from the existing. That way if she is keeping them from food she'd have to really work to keep them away from both.
Ok, thanks. She actually did peck one to the point that it was bleeding. So, I had to separate that one from the rest. Then she just started going after all the others very aggressively. I went ahead and removed her too. Any advice on reintroducing them both to the rest? The one who was injured and the one who did the pecking?

·
Administrator
23,486 Posts
But a dab of blue kote on the one if the injury is visible to the others and put her back.

Keep the aggressor separated where she can not see or hear the others for at least a week. If she goes back to behaving so badly it's time to remove her permanently from the flock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But a dab of blue kote on the one if the injury is visible to the others and put her back.

Keep the aggressor separated where she can not see or hear the others for at least a week. If she goes back to behaving so badly it's time to remove her permanently from the flock.
Ok. Thank you so much for the advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts