Established flock stopped laying

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Jesshunter, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Jesshunter

Jesshunter New Member

I inherited a flock of 6, 1 year old hens. They have been in their new coop for 2 weeks. We went form 5 or 6 eggs a day to just 1 per day for the last 4 days.. any ideas? They are well fed with enough room. In an outdoor coop, no lights. But we are on Oregon coast. So mild weather and plenty of daylight.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

It's the move to the new home. The eggs you got in the beginning is because they were very close to being laid. Now their bodies have gone into a holding pattern as they adjust.

Are they out on the dirt at all or just confined to the building?

Sylie likes this.

3. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Active Member

Going to a new home usually causes laying to stop for a few weeks. I would also check for any predators or things that would be scaring them during the night or things they are just not used to as being afraid can also cause them to stop laying.

4. Jesshunter

Jesshunter New Member

5. Jesshunter

Jesshunter New Member

They are in the dirt too. Getting pellets and fresh kitchen scraps. I guess I thought the egg cycle was shorter than it is

6. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Nah, they do this normally when they get moved. They can even do this being moved from one coop to another on the same property.

Sylie and mitzy123point like this.
  7. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Season changes can also stop the laying process as they move from winter to spring etc. Molting will also stop the laying which usually happens at spring and fall. Give them a few more weeks to adjust to the new home and the new season and let us know if the problem is still around. I feel like they'll be okay in a few weeks but definitely let us know if they aren't.