Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My Silkies are coming up on two months past the date they 'should' start laying.
I got them pol in early octoberish thinking from my calculations and research that they would start laying in early jan, but am still waiting

What can i do to encourage laying

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
There's lots of info that say starting 6 mos. then there's lots of info saying more. From what I've gathered it's any where from 6 months to a year. I've even seen cases that took longer than that. All in all just assure you have a happy and healthy hen. She will lay.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
30 weeks is about the norm. This time of year, and the shorter days effect laying. They need more light this time of year to lay. Some people add light to the coops, and that helps. But it could be Spring before they start. Be patient, the longer they wait, the better it is for their health.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great news got our first egg this morning, i knew something was up when she was banging about in there then popped out and came back home to this

image-3599615149.jpg

There is a small smear of blood, is this normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Congrats! Exciting huh. This is from your silkie? How old is she? I'm waiting in Pheobie my buff silkie to give me eggs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shes around 36-40 months, hopefully the others will follow soon. It really was lovely to see it their couldn't believe it. And it was lovely poached on toast

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Chefmarkh said:
Shes around 36-40 months, hopefully the others will follow soon. It really was lovely to see it their couldn't believe it. And it was lovely poached on toast
Months? I'm glad you enjoyed the egg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts