Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else incubating duck eggs? I have 4 pekin and 4 mallard in the bator. I also left a small nest of eggs in the coop hoping one of my mallards will sit on it.

·
441 Posts
Duck eggs, no. Goose eggs, yes. My goose Lucy has started sitting. I'm all kinds of excited.

Good luck on the hatching and getting one of your mallards to sit. *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
20 Posts
robopetz said:
No but I would like to. What's the incubation period on these?
28 days for ducks and turkeys (muscovy - 35-37). Geese - 28-34. 21 days for chickens. 23-24 days for bobwhite quail. Guinea - 28 days. Chukar - 23-24. Pheasant - 28-30. Coturnix quail - 17. Peafowl - 28-30.

·
172 Posts
What are the requirements for raising ducks? Space, food, housing :confused:
I've just heard there messy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
farmhand said:
What are the requirements for raising ducks? Space, food, housing :confused:
I've just heard there messy.
LOL. Yes, waterfowl are very messy. They will turn any patch of yard into a nice mud hole within days! Commercial duck production (meat ducks) raise their birds on concrete and only provide water for drinking. Market weight is achieved in approximately 10 weeks ish. Don't quote me on that, it is somewhere around there...

If you want to raise for pets/selling ducklings like we do then what you see in our set-up is more than sufficient. We pull eggs for incubation, as to increase productivity and hatch rate. We have 12-14 ducks in a 400 sqft enclosure...plenty of room for them. Ducks need about 6 sqft per bird, so we could house many more birds if we went by industry standards...

Housing, protection from predators, feed + grit/eggshell, and access to fresh water is all that is really needed. Pretty low maintenance actually...

·
172 Posts
So would they be happy with a small flock of say 3 birds? Wouldn't be too hard to plumb up a small kiddy pool that drained out for easy cleaning. My dad used to tell me stories about giving a chicken duck eggs to hatch and getting all bent out of shape when her little ducks jumped into the water.:p

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So would they be happy with a small flock of say 3 birds? Wouldn't be too hard to plumb up a small kiddy pool that drained out for easy cleaning. My dad used to tell me stories about giving a chicken duck eggs to hatch and getting all bent out of shape when her little ducks jumped into the water.:p
My 7 ducks are just fine with my 14 chickens. I have 2 kiddie pools for them .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts