Chicken Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes my chickens eggs aren't smooth, they are sorta gritty feeling, not all over but 1 or 2 spots on the eggs, do you know what this is from?:confused:

·
Happee ChickenSuperMomma
150 Posts
I've seen that in store bought eggs before. I don't know what it is, but I've seen it before. :)

·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no its not the one who prolapsed, it is one of my other chickens, She is a great egg layer, but I noticed this on some eggs:)

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
It happens some times ... I don't give it a second thought.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
The eggs in the first picture were boiled "too long" (what's too long is relative to the person eating them) but when they get green on the outside of the yolk like that and have that weird stuff on them, that just means it was boiled longer than the egg feels is necessary. As for the second picture, the white stuff you see is actually a membrane that attaches the yolk to the shell so that it doesn't move around and suffocate a developing chick. Yes it can feel a bit like wet grit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The eggs in the first picture were boiled "too long" (what's too long is relative to the person eating them) but when they get green on the outside of the yolk like that and have that weird stuff on them, that just means it was boiled longer than the egg feels is necessary. As for the second picture, the white stuff you see is actually a membrane that attaches the yolk to the shell so that it doesn't move around and suffocate a developing chick. Yes it can feel a bit like wet grit.
Those are not boiled eggs. That's the shell. The second pic, I'm not talking about the membrane. There is an actual dollop of grit

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
omg lol it looked like a bunch of overboiled yolks hahaha, I'm sorry!
OH okay, I think I see the grit inside now.

Okay so, on the eggs with shells, does that grit come off when you rub it or is it stuck on there?

·
Administrator
19,801 Posts
Huh, I think I see where Sylie is going with this. Is it possible you transferred some of the grit after cracking the egg?

·
Administrator
19,801 Posts
This is weird. I might need to see if I can find any information on that happening. I can't quite figure out how it can when the egg is formed. The shell formation happens in the lower reproductive tract so is shouldn't be possible for calcium to get inside of the egg.

·
Administrator
19,801 Posts
That doesn't explain why you seem to be finding it in the egg.

Have her eggs always seemed to have the calcium in the egg? I wonder if it involves the defective gland and it's actually on the outer membrane.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts