Eggs "cooking"

Discussion in 'Incubation & Hatching' started by Willy, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Willy

Willy Junior Member

On the 1st we set 9 banty, 6 black chicken that lays speckled eggs and 3 americauna eggs in the fancy store bought incubator. I've been turning them 3 times a day (when I first get up, suppertime and just before I go to bed). Anyway I just got finished candling them and it's looking like my little banty rooster at least has been doing his job. All but one of the banty eggs look good with something growing inside. One of the americana eggs never started. Hard to tell with dark brown speckled eggs as my flashlight apparently isn't bright enough to candle well on those.

One thing I am liking about this incubator is that it's sure holding it's temp very well.

2. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Yep! The dark brown eggs are tough to candle.

Can I ask what brand did you get? Some of them are really good.

3. twentynine

twentynine New Member

By the way them little bantam roosters can be some kind of hand full.

4. Willy

Willy Junior Member

One of those cheap Hovabators. If it works out good, I'll probably spring for the automatic egg turner next time around. For humidity, I'm using the piece of sponge in a bowl of water which seems to be working well.

Yeah, the banty thinks he's one tough lil' dude. I keep the bantys in a pen with the turkeys where him and the yard rooster can't tangle up.

5. Willy

Willy Junior Member

Candled the eggs again last night. I'd left the ones in last time that I didn't think was doing anything and this time around they're showing signs of life. Shows what I know about it. Anyway, Thursday will make 18 days so I'll quit turning them and bring the humidity up and things should start happening on Sunday.

6. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Good luck Willy !!

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Woo hooo! Beget that camera ready. We want pics!

8. Willy

Willy Junior Member

Today's my last day to turn eggs. When I turn them before I go to bed, I'll add some water to bring up the humidity and then it's wait and see what happens on Sunday.

9. Willy

Willy Junior Member

We have a pip on a banty egg!

10. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Cool Willy !! Great Expectations !

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Go willy go! Can't wait for pics!

12. Willy

Willy Junior Member

Well, it was more like a crack as I got to looking at it closer. And we have another now, this time a large brown speckled egg. And they're peeping. The humidity had dropped down to 60 so I had to open it up to add some more water, hope that didn't mess things up.

I've got to take a run down to Jackson to see the cardiologist so I'm hoping that we'll have more progress when I get home.

When I've got something to take some pics of I'll take some with my cell phone (only camera I have).

13. Willy

Willy Junior Member

So far: One black banty chick, a large brown speckled egg heavily pipped, another rocking and lots of peeping going on.

The incubator got "adjusted" once early on by a curious grandkid and got a little hot. So I'm not holding out hope for a big hatch. I've taken the old homemade one and converted it to a brooder box though.

And we were offered some more newly hatched banty chicks this afternoon. O' course we said that we'd take them.

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Nice. I wish you well! Enjoy those new babies and post some photos soon please.

15. Willy

Willy Junior Member

More eggs rocking now, including more banty eggs. So far nothing out of the Americaunas.

16. Willy

Willy Junior Member

3 chicks (1 banty and two larger ones), still have pipped eggs and some that are rocking.

Not a good pic, but then all I've got to take them with is a cell phone. The one on the left is the banty. One of the others has a badly swollen neck and I'm not sure if he's going to make it.

Attached Files:

17. Willy

Willy Junior Member

Two bantys (the black and a white), 4 large black chicks and a yellow with black stripes that all came out of speckled eggs. We've still got several banty eggs, a couple of speckled eggs and the Americaunas still aren't showing any signs of doing anything. A couple of the banty eggs are rocking a bit though.

All of the large black chicks have that big swollen looking neck but the one from last night is getting along like nothing is wrong. Beats me. But most of them had to be helped out of the shell.

I'll try to get another pic later.

18. CrazyBirdLady

CrazyBirdLady Junior Member

Awww so sweet, I hope that little one makes it....I have 20 due to hatch tomorrow, one started pipping last nite and no progress all day but I can hear peeping ... I'm so worried!

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I think Mickey might be scaring them a little. Lol

20. Willy

Willy Junior Member

Still have a banty and a large brown egg hatching out in the incubator. I did put them into the incubator the day after I started the others, so this should be about it. The brown speckled eggs did very well with only one not doing anything. I just wish the banty eggs had done half as good as it's looking like 2/3 of them aren't going to do anything. None of the Americauna eggs have done anything.

The other chicks are in the brooder and are doing pretty lively. The first one to hatch was a banty and he's already got that banty rooster attitude.