Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My four oldest hens are gonna be close to 10 months an lay fine. But recently there has been one egg that whitish and it been under the roosts. Not broken but it's white not brown. Is due to no calcium? Why is it under the roost? Possible because of lighting change ?

They are all RIR

My youngest are 4 months this month so they aren't doing it. It's not a soft egg either

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Could it just be a very light brown. Sometimes with hatchery birds (if yours come from a hatchery line) the color vary within the breeds since they are bred for quantity not quality.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apyl said:
Could it just be a very light brown. Sometimes with hatchery birds (if yours come from a hatchery line) the color vary within the breeds since they are bred for quantity not quality.
Well I got my birds from a local man

It's has some brown on it but it's very light, before it's washed it's mostly white.
It looks like it was powdered

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's so funny you brought this up! I have two RIR and last week or maybe 2 weeks ago they finally started laying. They must have been laying for a couple days until I finally noticed that she had been laying eggs under the roost and then burying them . I was in shock. But I must admit it was pretty fun going in every day wandering if I'd find an egg or not. Then last week I went to get some feed out for the girls and I noticed that the other RIR had made a new nest out of the straw bales that I have ! These birds are definitely funny! There eggs where very light colored almost a brownish white so I don't think that you have anything to worry about! Congrats on your eggs!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apyl said:
Looks like its a RIR egg just lighter in color. It happens sometimes. No worries.
It's not a normal thing though for my birds.

Today I got all four eggs and they don't look like that

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
It's not a normal thing though for my birds.

Today I got all four eggs and they don't look like that
"Normal" meaning its ok and nothing to worry about. Sure it may not happen all the time or each day but if it happens its fine. Its not caused by a life threatening disease. It's most likely caused by genetics. If you didn't pay top dollar for the birds, they were most likely not purposely bred to high standards so they will not be perfect in every aspect. And that is totally fine. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with the birds.

·
Registered
647 Posts
From the photo it looks likes what happens to a few eggs I get from my new layers. It goes away after they lay a few eggs. But can't be sure. I am new at this and just going by my experience.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nj2wv said:
From the photo it looks likes what happens to a few eggs I get from my new layers. It goes away after they lay a few eggs. But can't be sure. I am new at this and just going by my experience.
That's true .. This is the first time I got three in a week usually I saw one every month and it was just random. So maybe your right

1 - 9 of 9 Posts