Chicken Forum banner

Egg Prices??

7K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  fowlmouthgirls 
#1 ·
Just curious what everyone out there sells their eggs for per dozen? (And what state)

#10 ·
Upstate South Carolina........the market here is from $2.00 to $2.75 per doz.
I dont sell mine. I give them away. It frustrates my wife because I do. She says to "recoup some of the cost" for the feeds and such I purchase all year long for the Birds,..the goats,...the Turkeys,....rabbits,....kitty kitties....and all the deer that consume my garden.

I should.....but I didnt go into it to make money...yes Im losing me arse here.!!! LOL!

I started this a while ago for our benefit...the eggs the chicken dinners....the ribs on the grill...the T-day meals....and the education our grandkids are getting. Growing up back...well.....loooong time ago,...my family did not sell our stock.....mom would however trade or barder for items......Guess thats where Im at.

Times are getting harder.....Bird keepers are not like most folks. We are independant to a degree. Learn to help out others......the rewards of coming off the grid or out of the "SYSTEM" are great..!!

Happy day!

#15 ·
Last year...I got $ 3.00 per dozen from a select few "customers".
I haven't sold any this year. But WILL soon.
(They might be a little higher -doubtful- although feed prices are higher. BUT,
they won't be any cheaper.)

in semi-rural NW New Mexico.
-ReTIRED-

#19 ·
Indiana in the middle of a farming community.

Brown eggs. I started out at $3 a dozen. Hens were out producing the demand.

Local "Farmer's Market" selling white for $2 and browns at $2.50

Changed my price to $2 and now the demand equals the hens output.

"Profits" from the eggs almost pay for the feed.

#20 ·
TheLazyL said:
Indiana in the middle of a farming community.

Brown eggs. I started out at $3 a dozen. Hens were out producing the demand.

Local "Farmer's Market" selling white for $2 and browns at $2.50

Changed my price to $2 and now the demand equals the hens output.

"Profits" from the eggs almost pay for the feed.
Wow. That makes "cents". Our hens have been out producing our sales by a lot. We have deduced to just donate as many as we can to the local shelters and food banks. Grumpy...

#21 ·
Wow. That makes "cents". Our hens have been out producing our sales by a lot. We have deduced to just donate as many as we can to the local shelters and food banks. Grumpy...
I AGREE !
In the many and various businesses that I created and operated and owned over many decades..........I learned.
I learned that "price-cutting" is a self-defeating proposition.
Price your "Product" according to its Quality and its Utility.
COMPETE on the basis of "Service", NOT "Price".
Your customers will appreciate it....as will.... your Banker, your Accountant, your Employees, and your "friendly" ( ? ) I.R.S. agent.

Lowering Price is easy. Raising Price is difficult.

( Better to GIVE your excess eggs to a Food Bank -good Public Relations- and keep your Price.....which some People will equate to QUALITY
! Sell your Product too cheap....some People will think that the Quality is POOR....and, therefore, WON'T BUY IT ! )
just my 2 Pesos worth,
-ReTIRED- :)

#22 ·
ReTIRED said:
I AGREE !
In the many and various businesses that I created and operated and owned over many decades..........I learned.
Your customers will appreciate it....as will.... your Banker, your Accountant, your Employees, and your "friendly" ( ? ) I.R.S. agent.

( Better to GIVE your excess eggs to a Food Bank -good Public Relations- and keep your Price.....which some People will equate to QUALITY ! Sell your Product too cheap....some People will think that the Quality is POOR....and, therefore, WON'T BUY IT ! )
just my 2 Pesos worth,
I agree with ya retired! I was at the local Walmart the other day (something I don't do often or willingly) and the organic "cage free" eggs were between 4.15-4.45 a dozen. I use the non-soy/non gmo feed, and my gals are out in the grass most the day eating whatever they find, and also get some wheat grass. I used to think asking 4 a doz was high, but, not so much! I am not organic, but, I bet better than the organic the store has! Plus, my customers can meet the ladies that laid the eggs.

#24 ·
Interestingly enough, the owner of the store where I sell recommended a price increase to 3.50. Seems many customers are reporting my prices are way lower than others, which tells me I can safely bump them up 50 cents.

Some people complain now and some will after the price increase, but you have to cover costs at best.

Otherwise I'd be better off just producing for our own use like we started out with a half dozen layers and a LOT less costs ( such as for the current five dozen birds we feed )

#25 ·
ReTIRED said:
I AGREE !

( Better to GIVE your excess eggs to a Food Bank -good Public Relations- and keep your Price.....which some People will equate to QUALITY ! Sell your Product too cheap....some People will think that the Quality is POOR....and, therefore, WON'T BUY IT ! )
just my 2 Pesos worth,
Thank you for your advise. It's good to listen to the old guys that have been there and done it all. Jason, GrumpyFarms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.