Egg prices

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Shanebaby, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Shanebaby

Shanebaby New Member

I am going to start selling eggs. What is the going rate for eggs? Im in KY

2. 1720Bluebell

1720Bluebell New Member

We get $3.50 cash or credit for food from our local natural foods store. We give them 2 to 7 dozen per week, unless the birds cut way back on their production. The cooks at the store deli use the eggs in baked goods. This same store would sell our eggs for $6.50 or so if our hens and coop were state certified. This $3.50 had been covering 200% of our costs of food, litter, treats. Our birds free range when safe to do so; that is, if we are home and mostly outside to keep the foxes and goshawks at bay, and our Australian Shepard is on patrol. We could sell every egg our birds lay for $5 a dozen. People just appreciate fresh, free ranged eggs. Hope this gets you started.

3. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Must be people here in New York are *cheep*, *cheep* !:p I get a dozen a day and sell to family, friends and friends of friends... We get $1.00 a dozen...they act like they are helping us out!! :rolleyes: LOL Honestly I would do it for free...just love my ladies! :D I'm sure hubby would like it if they at least bought their own food! :rolleyes: What can I say...Jen

4. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

We get $2.00 a doz. We are in the country so lots of farmers around here have there own chickens. Be nice to get more, but I don't think I could sell all I get then.

5. realsis

realsis New Member

For organic eggs in California it is 4.99 for a 1/2 dozen! That's right you read that correctly! My husband works at a larger chain grocery store here in southern California and he checked there prices! So 6 eggs for 4.99 here! Almost a dollar an egg. Very expensive for organic eggs here!

6. jessicamerrick

jessicamerrick New Member

In central kentucky farmers are selling for $2 a dozen, the "Amish" store sells for $3

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

NJ is like $4.50 to $6.00 a doz depending on where you go. That's Monmouth county.

8. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

Fresh free range eggs, non organic, I am getting $5 a dozen. 100% organic can go for $7-8 a dozen. (Alaska)

9. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

Indiana-rural area, $2 a dozen for chicken eggs and $3 a dozen for duck.

10. midge124

midge124 New Member

Here in Pa, I am selling my large brown eggs for $3.00 per dozen and my Silkie eggs for $2.00 per dozen! They are all free range (run of whole property) when I am home,and when at work they are in a HUGE run!!! In the store eggs range anywhere from 2.00 -5.00 per dozen!!!

11. PouletdePouf

PouletdePouf Hangin' with my Peeps

In VA, Amish store, $3.50 per doz. Organic foo-foo store $4-6 depending on the store. Directly from the flock owners, usually $2 per doz. Prices are for large eggs.

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Anyone buying egg cartons and if so, whats the best deal?

13. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

My egg buyers bring their own carton and I fill them up. One gal collects them from friends and brings them to me for when the others start to look bad.

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

So far, that's what I've done.

15. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I haven't had enough to sell in awhile, my girls are getting up there in age. I'm still on the fence to get 6-8 peeps this year to keep up production, but with feed prices over $17 bag I'm only still thinking about it.

I would charge $2.50 as long as people will return the egg cartons etc. I had to buy some years ago and the price came out to be 50 cents each. OUCH. So I tell people they can pay that 50 cents for the carton, or they can bring me clean cartons, so far EVERYONE brings back cartons and usually has relatives save cartons as well. In the grocery store organic eggs hover around $4 a dozen.

16. doubleoakfarm

doubleoakfarm New Member

We are allowed to reuse cartons here as long as we put our name on it and the date packed. Thank goodness because if I had to pay for cartons I'd have to raise my price. Have not found any affordable. Once word got out around town and at church that we reuse cartons we've never had a shortage. Sometimes we get hundreds. :)

17. doubleoakfarm

doubleoakfarm New Member

We sell large brown eggs for $3 and duck eggs for $4. When we have quail it's $3 for ten. If I can get goose eggs I keep them for crafts. I'm in Indiana. And yes there are some who sell for $1.50-$2.00 here, but I always sell out and I actually pay for my feed with my egg money.

18. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Be sure to check with your local health department to make sure that you can sell fresh eggs without a permit, or a walk thru from the health department. It can be very costly getting legal and getting everything in order. But not as costly as fines and penalties from ignoring them. Have your customers bring egg cartons, that way, YOU aren't using used cartons. That's a real ugly with the health dept. Sorry to be such a downer, but it's need to know kinda stuff!

19. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

Where in Indiana? I'm south of Lafayette.

20. MuddyHillFarm

MuddyHillFarm Junior Member

I have a group of customers at two locations in the Metro Washington DC area that I visit each week for the 'day job'. I get $5/dz delivered to the frig in their employee lounge - so my driving expense is now a delivery cost against my farm income. They are cage free, free range gals. I will not spend the $ for a bogus label - organic. My premise is 'Know your farmer. Know your food.' These folks are really buying me and they know how well the girls are treated and what they DON'T eat. Increase your exposure and tell them your story - most folks just want a good reason to buy from you and you need to develop your elevator pitch as to why your product is the best ever!