Chicken Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out whats going on here. I have 6 chickens. 1 saphire gem, 1 blue australorp, 2 buff orpingtons, and 2 rainbow dixie. All hens, all from my research lay brown eggs. I get white eggs daily, with the majority being brown.

Anyone have any idea or any type of an explanation? I dont have any problem with the white eggs, I just dont understand why.

Could possibly 1 of them be a different breed than I was told where I purchased them or does 1 breed just lay white eggs?

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
It is possible one of the breeds isn't as advertised.

If you can post some good pics of the girls someone here can probably confirm whether you have what you were told.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dj5 says they get white eggs daily. How many white eggs per day? If only one, I would suspect one of the dixie rainbows is not a dixie rainbow. I can't tell from the pics what color the ear lobes are, but generally white ear lobes equal white eggs and red earlobes equal brown eggs. The Orps and gem look correct to me as far as coloring/form go. I've had brown egg layers (barred rocks) that laid brown eggs so lightly colored that they appeared almost white.

Reactions: Dj5

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I had the blue astrolorp and saphire gem identified on the forums previously so I think they are also correct. Which would lead me to believe imnukensc is correct with saying its one of those rainbow dixies. I believe 1 of those "dixies" has white ear lobes. They look pretty different from eachother too. 1 is way bigger and different patterns than the other.

If its not a rainbow dixie, I wonder what she is 🤣

·
Registered
123 Posts
How white are these eggs, like a clean sheet of paper pure white, or like an almost creamy / super pale tan white? Some of my supposedly brown egg layers lay super pale eggs that could be called white compared to the brown eggs from some of my other birds, but next to a true white egg like from my Dorkings, you can tell they're not quite white either.

Other than that possibility, I'd say you have a mix up with your breeds. Current pictures of them would help a lot, as there are some traits like adult build, earlobe color, and comb size that are useful for properly identifying different breeds that may come in the same color, whereas as juveniles they can look nearly identical. A picture of the eggs might be useful as well!

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
Thanks, @fuzzies. You've been silent about your capabilities to identify breeds so I didn't holler for you. I'm not very good at it, it's why I holler for those that are better at it than me.

And thank you, Ken. I'm so glad some of you are out there and can help with this.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thats one of the eggs.
And this is the chicken I suspect is laying the white ones. Is that white normal or is that some sort of health issue I need to be concerned about?
Looks normal to me. She may be a brown leghorn, but the white ear lobe pretty much guarantees she is your white egg layer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks, @fuzzies. You've been silent about your capabilities to identify breeds so I didn't holler for you. I'm not very good at it, it's why I holler for those that are better at it than me.
Haha, no worries, I've not been very active lately anyway!

Thats one of the eggs.
And this is the chicken I suspect is laying the white ones. Is that white normal or is that some sort of health issue I need to be concerned about?
Yup, that's definitely a white white egg! :giggle: White earlobes are normal for some breeds, nothing to be worried about. She certainly could be your white egg layer; white earlobes are associated with white eggs in many breeds, though not a guarantee. She does resemble a Light Brown Leghorn, though, and those girls are white eggers.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,384 Posts
Definitely seeing 2 Buff Orphingtons in there. What type of comb do the blue chickens have? I might be seeing 1 Dixie Rainbow but not 2, not the slighest idea what the other brown one is.
Where did you purchase them all from?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts