Chicken Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased some laying hens, we also are raising chicks, but we wanted eggs, how long till they get comfortable enough to lay, I bought 5 "laying hens" Easter eggers and olive eggers, but the most I have gotten is 3 eggs in a day, it has been less then a week. I know there is a possibility the owner lied, but I'm new to this, it was almost a 3 hour drive with the hens, so I'm not sure how stressed out they got

·
Administrator
22,333 Posts
Too soon to panic. Some hens can be knocked off egg laying for over a month.

I don't remember the size of your coop but pay attention to the size of the coop and how many birds you're housing in there. That can also mess things up for laying and can cause enough stress to get them picking on each other.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Give them a little time to get settled and use to their new home ... It can take a week to a month, depending on a number of things.
(weather, feed and a host of other things also comes into play.)
Best of luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Last year I started keeping hens. It took them almost two months before I saw a regular laying to occur. For about three weeks there were no eggs at all. Then it was one egg or two every few days.. It seemed after two months that I started to get a regular eggs on a daily basis.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My Easter eggers lay a green or blue egg. Those look like brown and cream eggs. Also some hens don't lay every day so you may only get 5 eggs a day every so often. Also like was said in earlier posts , just give them time to settle and get comfortable in their new home. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just pulled this green egg but once again photo does not compute lol, previous owners were not free range and who knows what food, I'm all gmo free and free range, hoping for better colors

Here is one of my Easter eggers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts