Chicken Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hens suddenly went from 13 eggs a day to 0 . I have 18 so I set up with the old mustard and dye in eggshell and caught 5 eating them. is there anyway to berak them I got them separated now. Also could 5 chickens clear out 13 eggs?

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
They could if the eggs have been already damaged...you might look to rats in your coop. They break eggs and lap some of the contents out and the birds will finish the job...but I doubt if your birds are eating all your eggs.

How long did it take to go from 18 to 0? If it was rapid, you might be looking for rodents, snakes, etc. and your birds are merely cleaning up the residue of this type of predation on your eggs.

Eggs are laid with thin shells at this time of year and chickens will eat them if they are cracked or leaking...this does not mean you have chickens that are cannibalizing your eggs. They do not need to be "broken" from doing it, they are not forming bad habits, they are merely acting on instinct to clean nests and because the opportunity presents itself.

I'd collect eggs each evening and note if the shells are thin, if you have any signs of rodents in your coop or nests, etc. before I'd believe that all your chickens suddenly became cannibals for no reason at all...just one day formed a committee and decided they were giving the best food to you and decided they were going to start consuming them instead. ;)

Truly, chickens are opportunistic eaters and an opportunity has arisen..and it arises the most at this time of year for many people, due to thin, brittle egg shells from calcium stores being diverted to feather production during molt. Given time all this corrects itself and the mysterious "egg-eating" will disappear...until next year. Unless, of course, you have a rodent problem in your coop that is starting the egg eating for them....I'd check it out. It's also the time for rats..and snakes..to prey on eggs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts