Chicken Forum banner

Egg Eating Rules

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  anderson8505 
#1 ·
What are the "rules" for eating eggs.

Is it best practice to wait until they are so old before eating or cooking with?

#5 ·
As a side note ... :D

If you have anyone helping to gather eggs (kids ;)) It is wise to break the eggs in a bowl/cup first and not right into your recipe. Some hen can intimidate kids and others, so they don't always gather all the eggs.

Not pretty ... not pretty, at all. :eek:

#10 ·
I use mine right away for everything. Steaming them for 20 minutes instead of boiling then putting in ice water makes the shell come off like a store bought egg.
Steaming instead of boiling? Cool - going to try that for sure! We hardboil a couple dozen quail eggs at a time...peeling is....um, less than fun. !@#%

Chicken and quail eggs get eaten here as fresh as can be.

#11 ·
Steaming instead of boiling? Cool - going to try that for sure! We hardboil a couple dozen quail eggs at a time...peeling is....um, less than fun. !@#%

Chicken and quail eggs get eaten here as fresh as can be.
I loved devilled eggs but couldn't eat them for a long time because I would lose a huge amount of white trying to peel. I tried a bunch of different "tricks" that didn't work. I ran across this one, tried it and it worked like a dream. I tested it out first doing eggs for potato salad. LOL. I think out of a dozen or so eggs, a little piece of white stuck in one little place.
I don't know if there is a time difference for quail eggs since they are so tiny but for chicken eggs, I just used a steamer basket that you put in any pot and steamed 20 minutes. They come out "hard boiled" from that time. I don't know what time would make "soft boiled". I have seen other places that said 10 minutes for "hard" so 20 could be overkill, but it was what I was originally told. Also, no green ring around the yolk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.