Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Beginning of the season the eggs are deep and dark, towards the end of the season the eggs fade dramatically. Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't know, also a newbie, but I know that a lot of species of birds depend on diet for feather color, especially beta-carotene. Just as an experiment, try feeding her grated carrot. When I was a little girl, the flamingos at Knott's Berry Farm were nearly white. Turns out in the wild, they ate a lot of brine shrimp, and that carrot was a good substitute, and after that was added to the flamingos' diet they turned pink again. If it doesn't darken the eggshell, it will still be good for the chicken, and egg-color has no relation to the nutritional content of the egg anyway. It's just fun to have colored eggs.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's the strangest thing ever. I have to research this. This may be a stupid question but.. Do you have other hens? Could it be another bird?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Interesting. Chickens do not change the color of their eggs (other than fading). Colored ear lobes on a chicken mean colored eggs, white ear lobes is white eggs. Can you post a pic of one of the white eggs next to a brown egg? Maybe it is just faded tan. Both BO's and Del's should be laying brown eggs. Do you have any other birds like ducks around,.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts