Chicken Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been about 4 days since 4 of my hens have laid any eggs. We have 6 laying hens and 2 were still laying an egg every couple of days because of this horrible humid heat. This morning I've noticed that they were pacing back and forth from the nest boxes and the door and making the worst fuss! One would start and the rest would join in! I kept checking every half hour or so, and still no eggs. Just pacing and sqwocking!
I looked up on YouTube about egg binding and someone suggested massaging the vent area with olive oil. Since I am fresh out, I figured baby Vaseline would probably work as well. I put on some latex gloves and slathered Vaseline all over the 4 ladies' vent area while they chastised me, and all of a sudden my Buff Orpington just popped out egg in my hand!!! She was just as surprised as I was! I went to check of the boxes an hour later and 3 eggs were waiting on me in the same box. I guess it was a success. Should I still get worried about them?

Checked the nest boxes again in about an hour and there were

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 8 ri red / jersey giant breed(bout 16 weeks) . Tonight while putting them to bed one of my hens was missing it was bout 9pm and dark looked all around yard for her but found nothing. When's back into pen and spotted her up in rafters??? She was panting as well can anyone tell me why she did this?? Is she getting ready to lay ??? New to chickens please reply

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't know why she'd do that...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts