Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 month old roeun hen. She began to lay an egg every day in the summer. About a month ago when it turned cold all of my chickens and the two ducks stopped laying. All of the birds began to lay eggs again normally about two weeks ago. Except this duck. Now I've noticed her sitting in a strange posture for about three days. She is keeping her rear body elevated while she sits and even when she sleeps. Her legs stick out under her like stilts.
Today I put it together that only one duck has started laying again and wondered if she was egg bound.
We let her swim in a warm bath then I examined her tummy. I can feel three distinct hard egg sized lumps in her abdomen. I tried to look at her vent but didn't make it through all her fluff.
At that point I didn know what to do so... I looked it up on the other internet and posted this to the forum.
Internet says maybe lubricate the vent and manually manipulate the eggs out. Also mentions calcium injections and such.
Its new years eve so everything is closed. I have no local vet who will even look at a chicken or duck. So its up to me.
Please give advice. This duck is the fave of the family. More of a pet than the rest. I don't want her to suffer and I'm willing to help her but I'm limited to options.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
I don't know anything about ducks and would be afraid to give bad advice.

Do you see her pushing at all? You should be if she's trying to push eggs out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shes restless and pacing. When she sits she won't lower her back side at all. I felt all along her belly again. Now I feel two lumps that feel like eggs. I tried to get to her vent and rubbed olive oil all around. (Something I read on a forum) and tried to massage them to see if I could help her. But when I tried she quacked like crazy and kicked me to death. So that didn't work and that wasn't easy.
I didn't find any redness or outward swelling or anything unhealthy looking around the vent area. So that's good.
I guess all I can do now is watch her and see what happens. Poor thing. I will try to get a picture of her strange posture.
Thanks for the moral support robin416!
I hope she makes it. Have a happy new year. I have to leave her on her own now to begin my families new years eve activities.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
What are a duck's calcium requirements? It won't help if you don't have any on hand but if its the same as chickens then calci boost with D3 might help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the morning I will add the oil to her food. Supposed to help her move the eggs out. I will post then on her condition and try to post pics. Thanks guys. Happy new year.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feed them poultry layer pellets from tractr supply and throw them mashed egg shells everyday. They also get kitchen scraps and lately meal worms for treats. I will see what I have here for calcium. I have b vitamins. But that's probably not helpful.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
Here's how the calcium and D3 work together. The D3 helps them to absorb the calcium more efficiently. The calcium also increases muscle strength for pushing the eggs out.

You could try calcium supplements for humans. Most of them include the D in them.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I would put her in a warm bath as well. What your feeding her sounds fine. Like the oil, vasoline will help lube her up as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Havent had alot of time to moniter her over New Year's. Also had to return to work today. She is still in same shape. She does eat and drink, but that's about all the activity she's into. Otherwise she is huddled in the corner of the run in a pile of leaves. Her tummy is very distended and lumpy looking when she stands. We have put her in warm bath for past two days for about an hour each time. She swims and bathes and splashes.
Does anyone know how this turn out? What can I expect to happen to her?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had called all of the local vets when trying to determine her sex several months ago. This is the one with the odd coloring for a hen. At that time everyone I spoke to said they didn't work with chickens or ducks. I will call my local vet again that does our dogs and ask if they can please help me.

Thanks Apyl, that's what I was afraid of.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
If they can inject her with calcium it might be enough. My concern is that you're feeling more than one egg.

Part of the battle is getting them to step out of their comfort zone, if you can convince them they are her only option they might relent.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just spoke with Dr Moss, the vet my family has used for years. He once drove 45 miles to look at my dead cat who had been run over when I was a little kid.
He said, it sounds like egg binding. He says if I'm up to it, to lube my finger with mineral oil and poke around gently inside the vent. He says I should be able to feel it and gave me some simple instructions to follow to manipulate the eggs out.
Basically a gyno exam for a duck.
The last resort he recommended was to try and crush the eggs to see if she could pass them. Along with a dose of mineral oil in her food. He says this is not normally recommended , but if the bird is going to die anyway, he says it would be the last thing to try.
He said left alone she will begin to stop eating and drinking, and eventually die.
He said there's just not much I can do. He wished me luck.

Going to consider this a while, and see what happens when I get back home. Crushing the eggs sounds awful from what I've read on the internet. But I can see how it might help.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
He's right, crushing the egg is the absolute last thing to try. I'm still disturbed by the fact she doesn't seem to be pushing. Normally its an uncontrolled autonomic response. And from one of your comments it sound like the eggs are higher in the reproductive tract than they should be.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does her miscoloring reflect some genetic defects? I was just wondering. She was laying regularly before the cold spell when they all molted. She and her sister were purchased from Rural King, a local farm supply store in the spring. For the longest I thought it was a boy.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Aren't duck and goose eggs seasonal?
Not all duck breeds go seasonal. Like chickens it depends on multiple factors. Rouens do not lay as much as say Pekins but they will lay sporadically year round if the conditions are right. Mallards are an example of ducks who lay seasonal. As for geese as far as I am aware they lay in the spring . But I could be wrong, geese are new to me this past year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts