EE and Ameraucana, the same?

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by Sara Silver, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:22 AM.

1. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

Hello! My husband and I have started a small flock of chickens, primarily for egg production. We'd like a lot of color in our egg basket, so I've been looking for a blue egg-layer. Of course, the names Easter Egger and Ameraucana have come up in our search! But as the title to this thread implies, I am pretty confused as to whether they are actually one and the same...

Some sources have them listed as two different breeds with very different characteristics. However, I've read elsewhere that they are all just EEs and some hatcheries just use the word "Ameraucana" to make the hens seem less like mongrels and more like something special.

I've already gotten 2 EEs that both lay mint green so I was preparing to get an Ameraucana pullet, as the chances of getting blue seemed significantly higher. But before I spend $80 on a chicken, I'd like to know it's legit. Opinions please?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

Ameraucanas are a recognized breed that is usually a single color. EE s are most likely an offshoot of the Ameraucana breed but are usually more multicolored. And not a recognized breed. I believe Ameraucanas lay blue eggs and ee s lay a number of shades. Hopefully someone knows more than me here.
    Be sure you are getting an Ameraucana. Many times it is not. Where would you be getting this chicken from?

3. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

It's called Chicken Scratch Poultry. It is a hatchery as opposed to a smaller breeder, but there simply are none for ameraucana within 100+ miles of me. A friend used them and said they are reputable though!

4. seminolewind

Ameraucanas are going to be harder to find.

5. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

Their website says it's a true Ameraucana .

6. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Ee's lay all different colors,with no guarantee it Wil be a colored egg. They are basically mutts.
    Ameracaunas are purebred if you find a breeder (usually one who shows as ee's are not showable).
    Ameracaunas lay blue eggs.

7. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

Oh, I definitely found a couple hatcheries that have either chicks for spring or pullets now... It's just the birds themselves are around $40 and then shipping is like $75 once you total in the special carrier, heat source and over-nighting. Which I don't mind...as long as the bird is healthy and lays what they say they will!

And the arucana? A small fortune just for the pullet herself!

8. seminolewind

You may want to think about an incubator and eggs for that price. And throw in a few of those dark chocolate brown egg layers. I once had an Ameraucana that laid real blue eggs. But she only laid 2-4 a year and that was it.

Maryellen likes this.
  9. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

Ooooo, I've never done that before... They only sell eggs/chicks in groups and I only want one more chicken. I'm afraid with eggs, I'd either screw up and get none or get waaaaay too many out of the batch!

10. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Active Member

Just be aware of marketing practices that are set up to deceive - Ameraucana is a true breed. Americana or Americauna are not, they are essentially EEs'. If you are paying less than $10.00/bird they are most definitely not true Ameraucanas.
    The true birds usually run around $18-20/bird and are difficult to find

seminolewind likes this.
  11. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Over the years,I've ordered many "Ameraucanas" and the hens laid blue,pink and green eggs.The offspring,which are mixed with Cochins, all lay green eggs except one and she lays brown eggs.Each hen lays a single color and you never know what color they lay until they start laying.There are blue egg laying hens but the name of the breed escapes me at the moment.If I remember I'll post it later.

12. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

I can never find info as to what other birds were used in the Original creation in the 70's.It is my speculation that all Ameraucana have the possibility to brown,green or blue eggs.
    In the 80's when the were accepted in the APA that only certain colors and only the blue egg gene qualify of which the 8 varieties were created by 3 people.

seminolewind likes this.
  13. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

One of my EE's from Townline (they say theirs is an Ameraucana because it breeds true) took 9 months to lay it's first egg.The other 3 from that batch started at 16,18 and 20 weeks old.
    The purer the bird ,the mostly likely it will toook longer to lay and not lay many eggs.
    I've read true Araucanas can take 9-12 months before they lay their eggs.And if they have the double tuff?? gene at least 50% of the chicks die in the shell.

seminolewind and boskelli1571 like this.
  14. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Active Member

An article on the Ameraucana was recently posted on www.thehappychickencoop.com The history is quite involved and I never really got to the bottom of it...

15. seminolewind