Chicken Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had one hen here (couldn't figure out which one) who lays an egg almost every day and then pokes a hole in it and leaves. I haven't complained about this because it's one egg and my dog rather enjoys it.... however things have gotten out of hand. It is snowing out today so my hens decided to spend all day in their coop and they got into some trouble. Someone took this egg nipping too far. I usually get between 12-18 eggs a day, which lately has dropped off to 6-12. I figured they were just taking a little break because the weather has been absolutely whacko lately with temperatures going up and down like a yo-yo. Now I am not so sure.... Got six eggs today and found another one thoroughly disemboweled, still in the box, most of it eaten. I ponder if they're still laying at the same frequency but are suddenly sucking them down like M&M's? :confused:

I am going to go out more frequently to see if I can salvage more or at least figure out what's going on. I have raised the amount of feed I give them. Is there anything else I can discourage them from this behavior? Sometimes I think it's boredom.... do they make chicken toys??

·
Registered
231 Posts
In fact they do. If you go to mypetchicken.com you can find them. Try to spray the eggs with something, and put it in the dark. Hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts