Featured Eating the eggs?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Wilbur's Mom, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Wilbur's Mom

Wilbur's Mom Active Member

Question why would the girls eat an egg?? Hubby saw them fighting over what looked like membrane??? Haven’t had this happen?

2. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Well-Known Member

If the egg gets stepped on and broken they will eat it. If they get too much fresh egg, they may start breaking and eating them, so just watch to make sure this isn't a regular thing.

3. Wilbur's Mom

Ok am waiting for Wilbur to come out of the coop. She was laying a few min ago. Will keep watch over the weekend.

4. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

Mine recognize me stepping on an egg and usually are at my feet before I can move. They have never intentionally broken one.

chickenqueen likes this.
  5. Wilbur's Mom

Ok will let y’all know what I find. :eek:

6. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

One thing I have noticed is when a hen lays an egg,they get into a squat position and force the egg out.Sometimes the force is so hard,it breaks upon impact with another egg or breaks the egg in the nest.It's worse when I don't collect eggs often.

robin416 likes this.
  7. Wilbur's Mom

Oh ok. I went out after I saw everyone out of the coop and got all for the morning and they looked good. We normally don’t collect until the evening. No one home during the day to collect.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

Sometimes someone lays a shell less egg. Easy to tear open. I used to put golf balls in the nests just in case. But yes I do occasionally find a broken half eaten egg.

9. Wilbur's Mom

Why golf balls? Haven’t heard that one??

10. seminolewind

Golf balls. It has something to do with pecking and not getting rewarded.

With one hen, I spent days narrowing down a time frame that an egg got broken. I also checked beaks often to find some yolk. Sure enough, one hen came in to "inspect" the nest, and I snuck up behind her and scared the $hit out of her. Never did it again.

Now, I have 5 layers in the main flock and no eggs for a few months now. I've heard of slowing down, but none? I have checked every nook and cranny in the yard.

11. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Well-Known Member

I only got 1 egg yesterday out of 16 hens. I think molting and weather changes have something to do with it.

seminolewind likes this.
  12. Wilbur's Mom

Ok if I se where this is going to be an issue I’ll use the golf ball trick or scare it! That made me chuckle :D.

seminolewind and nannypattyrn like this.
  13. chickenqueen

I'm getting no eggs from 25 hens.Granted it's molting time but some molted early and have been done for some time.Now they're just freeloading.......

Maryellen and seminolewind like this.
  14. seminolewind

The only ones that are still laying regular are 1-3 silkies and one red hybrid brown egg layer. Ingrid
    P9230178 (2).JPG

15. robin416

Mine are old, I just want them to stop already.

16. chickenqueen

What about the chicks you were getting?Got 'em yet?I haven't gotten an egg in days out of 25 hens but the older Cochins are 4 and 5 y o and the 5 yo hasn't laid since a dog ripped off her back last Dec and that's ok.Most are in some stage of molt so I'm excusing it,for now.

17. robin416

Those chicks were rehomed as soon as Chicklett was done raising them. I'm out of chickens. Or almost after all these old farts die out. They've just surprised me by not going along with my plan for getting out.

18. seminolewind

1/2 of mine are older farts. I also have 5 top hats and they seem to lay like crazy for about 4 months out of the year, then slow down and stop for the rest of the year.

All of mine are molting and look terrible. Never had one this bad.

19. Wilbur's Mom

I am still getting 4 to 5 a day. We have noticed that they are laying earlier, I guess that is normal?? We may have to get with the neighbors and make sure they aren't causing an issue. The racket she made was something else, and I heard it inside the house with the blinds closed. Sun sets around 630 now, and it's dark when I walk on the treadmill in the mornings around 545 or so.

20. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

Where are you all from? I wonder if it has to do with the weather in the region? Im new to chickens too. I haven’t noticed any real molting and I’m still getting an egg every day from each of my hens that have started laying