Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Scrambled Eggs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Easter Egger is not a recognized breed. I hatched this out late April 2012. I still can not tell if they are roosters yet. I think they are. I have a Buff Orpington Roost that would have fathered them. There was also a Serama Bantam that was hanging out with the flock back then, I can not tell you if he had access to the hen.

Can anyone tell from these to pictures if the white ones are rooster?

kind of hard to get them to stand still!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hmm I agree, the one on the right in the second photo looks roo to me! The tail feathers being long and all. And yes, they sure are beautiful birdies!

·
Banned
1,267 Posts
Look at the hackle feathers, it's hard to see with white on white, but a cockerel will have pointed hackles and a pullets are round.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm new to chickens but my EE ended up being a roo. He started crowing around 14 weeks and his tail feathers were much higher than what I see in the pictures. Like I said I don't know much about chickens and maybe there is a wide range of what would be considered rooster-ish -so to speak :)

Eta: This pic is from the day I got rid of him around 15 weeks. Can't have roosters :(

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
We were very sad to see him go. The hardest part was the kids were visiting my parents in vt and Sarah didn't get to say goodbye. Been three months and she still asks to go visit. That girl loves animals. She even cries when one of our fish dies.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Be happy and proud you have raised a compassionate child. Teach her how to deal with her big heart. I used to cry every time I heard puff the magic dragon. She is a valuable asset in a world of hardness and cruelty.

·
Scrambled Eggs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look at the hackle feathers, it's hard to see with white on white, but a cockerel will have pointed hackles and a pullets are round.
what are heckle feather? where are they? Sorry never heard of a heckle going to have to google it.

·
Scrambled Eggs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well if I got this right then both are Roosters. I sure hope this Wednesdays (9/26) hatch has hens. If someone wants a Rooster I have a white one and a I guess that is faun/red. Now I have to learn how to sex day old chicks. That looks hard!

·
Scrambled Eggs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Feather wing sex or genital sexing? Just curious.
I did not know you could feather day old chicks. I read a genital how to. I'd like to find a feather how to and read that. Sounds a little less evasive.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Far as I know the feathers on the wing are only accurate when they are very young like first 3 days or 3-5 days. It's the flight feathers - coverlet feathers on the wings.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts