Easter Egger Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by teddy, Sep 16, 2012.

1. teddy

teddy Scrambled Eggs

I know Easter Egger is not a recognized breed. I hatched this out late April 2012. I still can not tell if they are roosters yet. I think they are. I have a Buff Orpington Roost that would have fathered them. There was also a Serama Bantam that was hanging out with the flock back then, I can not tell you if he had access to the hen.

Can anyone tell from these to pictures if the white ones are rooster?

[​IMG]

kind of hard to get them to stand still!

[​IMG]

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

My guess, second photo. Left no, right yes.

3. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

IDk but they sure are pretty birds.

4. sorrowsmiles

sorrowsmiles New Member

Hmm I agree, the one on the right in the second photo looks roo to me! The tail feathers being long and all. And yes, they sure are beautiful birdies!

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Look at the hackle feathers, it's hard to see with white on white, but a cockerel will have pointed hackles and a pullets are round.

6. jen3910

jen3910 New Member

I'm new to chickens but my EE ended up being a roo. He started crowing around 14 weeks and his tail feathers were much higher than what I see in the pictures. Like I said I don't know much about chickens and maybe there is a wide range of what would be considered rooster-ish -so to speak :)

Eta: This pic is from the day I got rid of him around 15 weeks. Can't have roosters :(

Attached Files:

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

So sorry. :-(. Must have broken your heart. He was very handsome.

8. jen3910

jen3910 New Member

We were very sad to see him go. The hardest part was the kids were visiting my parents in vt and Sarah didn't get to say goodbye. Been three months and she still asks to go visit. That girl loves animals. She even cries when one of our fish dies.

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Be happy and proud you have raised a compassionate child. Teach her how to deal with her big heart. I used to cry every time I heard puff the magic dragon. She is a valuable asset in a world of hardness and cruelty.

10. teddy

teddy Scrambled Eggs

what are heckle feather? where are they? Sorry never heard of a heckle going to have to google it.

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Ted it hackle not heckle. Check your spelling.

12. teddy

teddy Scrambled Eggs

No wonder I could not find no information on it. I spouse I'm in line for a lot of heckling now. Tickle me with a hackle feather.

13. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

We're all human. No worries. ;-)

14. cogburn

cogburn New Member

The neck feathers from the head down to the saddle.

15. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Here ya go brother.. Basic anatomy. It will help.

Attached Files:

16. teddy

teddy Scrambled Eggs

Well if I got this right then both are Roosters. I sure hope this Wednesdays (9/26) hatch has hens. If someone wants a Rooster I have a white one and a I guess that is faun/red. Now I have to learn how to sex day old chicks. That looks hard!

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Feather wing sex or genital sexing? Just curious.

18. teddy

teddy Scrambled Eggs

I did not know you could feather day old chicks. I read a genital how to. I'd like to find a feather how to and read that. Sounds a little less evasive.

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Far as I know the feathers on the wing are only accurate when they are very young like first 3 days or 3-5 days. It's the flight feathers - coverlet feathers on the wings.

20. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

You tube Mike Rowe, from dirty jobs expaining sexting awesome video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tmEO9xRqvo"]Dirty Jobs: Mike Rowe - YouTube[/ame]