Chicken Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were recently given an EE hen from friends whose roosters were getting too aggressive with her. When we got her she was laying an egg every other day. Then I realized she had bumblefoot, so I removed them (pictures in a different thread) and wrapped her feet with vet wrap. Her feet are healing nicely because we check every night and change her wrap. However, she has not laid an egg in a week now. I don't think she is egg bound because she's not hard or anything. The only thing is she is still new to the flock, so she spends the whole day in the coop on the highest roost except to come out and drink water and eat a little bit.

I don't want to force her to socialize with the rest of the flock if she isn't ready, but if she goes into the run, 3 of the other hens peck at her and Ben the Roo tries to mate with her. Should I be concerned or am I over thinking it? They are fine if I put them in the movable tractor. Also fine if free ranging because the EE goes to a different corner of the yard.

·
37 Posts
The pecking order sounds pretty normal to me.

About the laying...
She could be taking a break,
the summer heat,
starting to molt,
getting older...

I have found that EEs are some of the most erratic layers I've ever had.

Kaax, good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts