Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
I have two hyline browns and one rose comb leghorn, hoping to add four more girls tomorrow
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m wondering if my hens will use this as a dust bath or will I need to modify it?
Triangle Road surface Asphalt Rectangle Tints and shades

· Registered
178 Posts
I can't tell how big that is, but mine would also probably use it as a nest box because it is enclosed and "hidden". I like to use plastic or rubber feed trays for dust bathing areas, at least in the winter when they're "custom" dust baths (aka a spot they dug under a tree) are inaccessible due to snow because they are easy to dump out when they inevitably get it dirty with poop. I can also put them anywhere I want, and the hens are unlikely to use it as a nest box.

So sure, you could use it as a dust bath, but I predict someone is going to lay eggs in there, and you're going to have trouble cleaning it out unless that is a lot bigger than I'm thinking it is.

· Registered
I have two hyline browns and one rose comb leghorn, hoping to add four more girls tomorrow
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your right probably end up laying in their I can remove the roof to deter this and guide them to the nesting place I have set up for them I’ll attach some pics hopfully get a better picture of the scale of it they have two coups a laying kinda house and hopfully with the roof off that can be their new dust bath. Iv just started keeping chickens the other week so tips like this helps.
Rectangle Gas Wood Water Stairs

Plant Wood Rectangle Gas Outdoor furniture

Rectangle Wood Outdoor furniture Gas Grass

Wood Garden tool Door Rake Tints and shades

Wood Shade Floor Flooring Hardwood

· Registered
178 Posts
You can use whatever you want, just think about how practical it is to clean, and you have to drill holes in bottom if rain can get it there without the roof. If you can't easily dump it out or have to crawl on hands and knees to get to messes, I wouldn't consider that practical! They really don't need much room to dust bathe.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I’ll get a smaller dust bath, I’ll use the house as another place for them to hang out that’s four all in for nine girls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts